algys Living Reef

Yeah the firefish should be fine with everyone in your tank.
Thanks Sarah, water test today showed ammonia 0.1, PH 8.1, nitrate 20, nitrite 0.5, calcium was low 360 and phosphate was 5.0, I gave the tank a double dose of Cycle (40ml) and 40ml of nitrate minus, do you think I have anything to worry about, I probably have been over feeding them.

would appreciate some advice please.

Allen:frustrat:

You should not have any nitrite or ammonia. Something is rotting in your tank. It could be overfeeding. Nitrites and ammonia can be fatal to fish and inverts. Don't add anything new until you get those both down to zero. And keep doing water changes.

Attachments

• 002 resized.jpg
    002 resized.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 185
Thanks Sarah, water test today showed ammonia 0.1, PH 8.1, nitrate 20, nitrite 0.5, calcium was low 360 and phosphate was 5.0, I gave the tank a double dose of Cycle (40ml) and 40ml of nitrate minus, do you think I have anything to worry about, I probably have been over feeding them.

would appreciate some advice please.

Can't seem to get the calcium up to around 440 doing 10% water changes weekly but calcium stays at 360, have been adding calcium supplement but makes no difference yet, Nitrate still high, am putting a new carbon filled sock in today after the weekly water change.

Can't seem to get the calcium up to around 440 doing 10% water changes weekly but calcium stays at 360, have been adding calcium supplement but makes no difference yet, Nitrate still high, am putting a new carbon filled sock in today after the weekly water change.

Aquired couple of montipola frags this week, how long before they start looking vase shaped? see pic's.

Attachments

• CIMG0660 Green Montipola resized.jpg
    CIMG0660 Green Montipola resized.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 218
  • CIMG0661 brown montipola resized.jpg
    CIMG0661 brown montipola resized.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 195
  • CIMG0662 green montipola resized.jpg
    CIMG0662 green montipola resized.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 198

I bet your using Instant Ocean salt? Try a different salt mix Allen.

your joking? will they never look like what I expect?

Allen

It just takes time for em grow that big.And even then,the growth pattern depends on a lot of different things like flow and light.

I am using Seachem Marine Salt, no good?

Allen

Thats a great salt for a FO system.But not so good for a reef tank.
Fish dont need all the stuff that a reef does,so its easier and cheaper to produce a salt just for the fish.
I'll bet that if you get some SeaChem Reef salt,you'll see those parameters come up and you'll have to dose a whole lot less.

It just takes time for em grow that big.And even then,the growth pattern depends on a lot of different things like flow and light.

Thats a great salt for a FO system.But not so good for a reef tank.
Fish dont need all the stuff that a reef does,so its easier and cheaper to produce a salt just for the fish.
I'll bet that if you get some SeaChem Reef salt,you'll see those parameters come up and you'll have to dose a whole lot less.

Anything I can do to raise the calcium level until I can get the Reef Salt?

Back