Aliencookies BioCube 29 HQI 2010

aliencookies

Reefing newb
I currently have a biocube 8 thats been running over a year now but recently decided to upgrade my tank to something with more room and with stronger lighting to house sps. I was looking at the jbj 28g with leds and found a LFS that carried it with a stated price of 359.99$ but turned out to be a pricing error (way to good to be true haha). So my next choice was the biocube 29 HQI. I have now set it up and has been cycling since saturday 12/18/10 but its still silty after 4 days, i think the sand is really fine and it keeps kicking up when the current hits it. I've also been reading many forums on here to better educate myself and thought i would post to help with my education process and it may be of use to other people thinking of getting this tank.

The three best stores i found around Vancouver B.C. for marine livestock and supplies are:

King Ed Pet Centre in Burnaby (some supplies, like my tank, are cheaper. corals and fish are well priced too)

J&L aquatics in Burnaby (large stock of fish and supplies at good prices but not too many corals)

Ocean Aquatics in Delta (mainly for corals and fish)

Equipment and supply list:
20lbs live rock (came with some sort of anemone)
20lbs caribsea arag-alive bahamas oolite
Hydor rotating water deflector
Koralia nano powerhead (thinking of getting another on boxing day :D)
100W visitherm heater (keeps the temperature stable at 25degrees celcius with lights off and with lights on at a stable 26)
Seachem "the bag" with purigen
D-D H2Ocean Pro+

I'm also planning on getting chaeto, a coralife digital power center, and an extra coralife 150W 14000k DE light on boxing day.

In the meantime here are some pics of the tank (taken with iphone)... and if anyone reads this and knows what type of animal that came with the live rock is, please tell.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Last edited:
The tank looks good so far.
If I were you I'd stay away from the coralife power center, many people (including myself) have tried them and they don't work well, only half the outlets in mine actually provide power.

That anemone is a rock flower anemone. They are IMO the best anems to start with if you want to keep anems. They wont host clowns but they are super hardy and can put up with poor water conditions better then others. I got one as a hitchhiker when I setup my tank as well and it made it through the tank cycling, huge temp swings the first summer and big salinity swings too. Mine is still going strong almost a year later.

thanks for warning me bout the coralife power center. what brand of timer do you use now? maybe ill do a bit more research. and good to hear bout the anem :D

I started using the cheap little $5 timers from Wal-mart but, I'm saving up for a controller that I'll be able to control my lights with.

Tank is looking good! That live rock looks really colorful.
Thanks!... and yes i was surprised myself at the color and stuff on the rocks. the other LFS i went to kinda just looked brown all around.

Lookin' good. Congratulations.
Thanks!!! :)

has anyone used purple up or any of those supplements to help grow corraline algae and see a substantial difference? i've been reading they're a big waste of money... and some say they work well...

Purple Up is a mixture of finely ground up sand and calcium. So it can help coralline growth, but not any more than regular water changes would. I used it in two of my tanks, and was happy with it. I think that was before I knew what the ingredients were though. :lol:

I have used Purple Up too with good results, however I think any Calicum supplement will do. Just keep you level around 450 and it will grow.

Back