Alk a little low

BL1

Hey everyone,

I tested my water last night and my Alk was at 6. Should I dose my tank to raise it? I don't want to use baking soda because my pH is steady at 7.8 and I don't want to risk lowering it any. I have this stuff sitting around, would it be ok to use or, would you recommend something else?
p-234429-47649-fish-supply.jpg

I don't want to use baking soda
Do you know what in that Kent stuff?
From Kent's website.....
Superbuffer dKH contains a blend of negatively charged carbonate and bicarbonate buffers
In other words...a mix of baking soda and baked baking soda. ;)

I had read that on the label actually, but I have that stuff just sitting in my house that's why I asked. I don't want to use baking soda because I've read it will lower pH and mine is one the low end of the spectrum as it is. Is it unreasonable to think I can dose for Alk and not affect my pH?

It does raise the pH.
No, baking soda lowers pH.

You guys are getting too caught up in the pH thing.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Baked baking soda...Adding on the order of 0.5 meq/L of alkalinity increases the pH by about 0.3 pH units immediately upon its addition.
Regular baking soda...Adding on the order of 0.5 meq/L of alkalinity drops the pH by about 0.04 pH units immediately upon its addition.

Last edited:
No, baking soda lowers pH.

I guess the few posts I searched for were wrong.

Maybe I am getting too caught up with the pH, but I'd just like to only add what I need to that way I don't have to worry about changing and maintaining too many values in my tank.

Baked baking soda will temporarily raise Ph. If you want to add carbonates (alk) without having any big effect on Ph then use Unbaked baking soda.

In the short term adding a buffer will raise your alkalinity and in the longer term using a salt with a naturally higher buffering capacity like Tropic Marin may also help too. However, I try to stay away from dkH buffers as most people tend to use it too aggressively and end up making changes in the water chemistry in their tanks too quickly (in my opinion). I generally like to a change in the water chemistry happen very slowly over time. Usually a tank that has a lower dkH than desired took some time to get down there, it usually didn’t happen overnight. Conversely, it’s also not optimum to have it raised to the desired level over night. For a permanent fix, I dose my tank with TM Bio-Calcium which will very slowly, over time, raise the dkH to the desired level which prevents pH swings in the long term.

I am new but I thought Alk should be between 3-4?

My questions is are your inhabitants stressed out any? If not then why goof with it?

I am new but I thought Alk should be between 3-4?

My questions is are your inhabitants stressed out any? If not then why goof with it?
Yes, alk should be between 3-4 meq/l or 7-11 dKH. They are the same thing(meq/l or dKH), just a differnt way to measure alk. I don't think anyone mentioned their alk levels in this thread so you may be confusing alk with pH. They are related, but not the same thing.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited:
Back