Alkalinity Supplement

staceyfenea

Reefing newb
I need to raise the alkalinity in my 55 gal tank. There are so many brands to choose from. Has anyone used one that they would recommend?

It was recommended to me (on this site, by Yote I think) to use Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. (not powder....you want the stuff in the yellow box) I added a teaspoon to a cup of saltwater...stirred well and added it to my sump. Worked like a charm. Much cheaper than anything you're going to buy at you LFS. I have 120 gallon tank...maybe you should start with 1/2 tsp? or even 1/4 teaspoon? I closely monitored my KH and my PH...I added 3 tsp in total to raise my KH from 5 to 8. I did it over a two day time frame. I didn't want to shock the fish. :) Good luck!

Arm and Hammer Baking Soda. (not powder....you want the stuff in the yellow box) I added a teaspoon to a cup of saltwater...stirred well and added it to my sump.
That's not really the proper way to dose. You are adding a giant dose of alkalinity to a small amount of saltwater. What happens is the carbonates precipitate (because you jack up the alk level in the cup wayyyyyyyy to high), the water in the cup gets cloudy and will never redissolve when you dump it in your tank.

The baking soda should be mixed in RO water where it totally dissolves, unlike dumping it in a cup saltwater where it can not dissolve.

The baking soda should be mixed in RO water where it totally dissolves, unlike dumping it in a cup saltwater where it can not dissolve.

Good catch....thanks! I do use RO water...I'm not sure what I was thinking!!! UGH. I need to 'reread' before I post!!! Thanks. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Soda ash (sodium carbonate) is Arm & Hammer baking soda that has been baked for 1 hr at 350°. ;) The baking drives off the extra co2, so it's not sodium bicarbonate anymore.
The difference is baking it will slightly raise your pH when you dose. Unbaked, regular baking soda will slightly lower your pH when you dose.

Back