Alkalinity

Russell

Reefing newb
The alkalinity in my aquarium has always been high, about 12 dkh, but today my readings spiked to 16 dkh or over 5.71 meq/l ( my test kit only goes to a max. of 16 dkh.

The rest of my aquarium is within allowable limits.
  1. PH - 8
  2. Ca. - 410
  3. Salinity - 1.022
  4. Ammonia - 0
  5. Nitrites - 0-.1
  6. Nitrates 25ppm
I am very diligent in doing my weekly water changes, but can't seem to get my alk. to come down.

I only have 2 clown fish, one damsel, and one dotty, however I do have several soft corals that appear to be doing very well now that I caught the two little buggers that were killing my cabbage coral.

Can any please help me with this?

Russ

Last edited:
what tests are you using? before doing something drastic to your tank, buy a different test to make sure it is reading right. I hate to make big changes without knowing for sure. Even take it to your LFS to have them test it. It seems weird with corals in your tank that it would be that high.

-Doc

yeah, alk normally plumets the other direction. and ph normally follows, along with calcium. are you doesing anything else at all?

A DKH of 12 is not bad.I usually try to keep mine from 12 to 14 with a calcium level of 420 or a little higher.
But like every body else said,Take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it before you do anything.Test kits can and will go bad.

I tried a 2nd and 3rd kit just to verify the first run of tests. My first test said all my nitrites were gone, the 2nd and 3rd showed a lil bit still... Oh and I am still on my cycle... Thats why in testing for nitrites..

So in summary, try multiple tests... I use cheap ones for quick tests, then the lil bit more costly for the add on tests.. if they are needed..

YES!!!!! what do I win? a night with Biff? Or do I have to wait in line for that? Ain't there an express lane for that? :bounce::mrgreen::bounce::^::^::^:

-Doc

Did biff just get........................

katpwned.jpg

?

And for alkalinity, did you even test alkalinity? Or am I in the dark here and just a little bit drunk? You had ph, etc, but I didnt see alkalinity at all? The lady at foster and smith said they used to keep their dKH at around 8-9, then she said their coral farm was doing experiments and they did best at a max of around 14, so they are changing over now.

The alkalinity in my aquarium has always been high, about 12 dkh, but today my readings spiked to 16 dkh or over 5.71 meq/l ( my test kit only goes to a max. of 16 dkh.

Never mind! I was looking in the list of test results. Sorry. 12 isnt bad, 16 is a bit high though...

Back