All about the skimmer!

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I'm trying to decide on a skimmer for my 125, and I'm definitely going with an Octpus....question is, other than price, what's the difference between their Super Reef, Hurricane, and Recirculating models? If I'm going to spend this much on a skimmer, I want to hear everyone's suggestions as to the differences.

I realize the Hurricanes series are upwards of $500, so I'm not looking to spend that much, but I'm still curious as to the differences in mechanism and ease-of-running between the 3.

Which Super Reef model? 1 is basically the Xtreme model with a new/different pump and semi cone shaped body and the other is cone shaped skimmer. Never heard of the Hurricane. A recirculating skimmer can be run outside a sump, but must be fed by a seperate pump.
I use the original Octo NW200 on my 125 and it works great.

I'll have to research. From what I've gathered, the Octopus has been established as a great product. The cone skimmer looks good, but like others have said, it hasn't been around long, and it's not enough that it makes a ton of bubbles....the question is how long do the bubbles get contact w/ the gunk before being pushed up.

So again, if I'm spending a couple hundred bux on a skimmer, I'd like something that has an established history of excellent performance. Not to say I won't consider the cone or the vertex before making a final decision, but for now, I'm aiming for the octopus. Hopefully their newer models work as well as the older ones.

Yeah I saw that last time you posted it :P But just cuz it makes a lotta bubbles doesn't mean it's got prolonged contact with the water. Time will tell on that one.

My lfs used these skimmers that made a ton of bubbles. Then one day they decided to do a side by side comparison with another skimmer that made the same amount of bubbles. They had a lab test the skimmates, and the 2nd one ended up pulling more gunk than their original setup. So bubbles aren't everything.

I've heard great things about the cone skimmers as well, I will try one someday.

I like ASM and euroreef, I've always had great success with them.

Cant the recirculating one also be fed by the overflow?

Just curious.

Brian

The external one depends on the constant flow rate of the pump to feed the water in instead of depending on the water level. It is a lot more temperamental.

I tried using the overflow for it. Every time I put my hand in the tank, the skimmer overflow. Every time my wave maker change the frequency, I have to adjust the skimmer again. Later I changed it to feed from a split of the return pump. Every time I restart the pump, it floods. Every time I change the flow rate of something else, such as the chiller or the algae scrubber, I have to adjust the skimmer again.

I finally switched its feed using a dedicated small pump. A lot better now.

Back