all coral experts! your knowledge is needed!

saltaqariumnoob

imaginative reefer
hi guys, im going to start up a 29 gallon nano, and i was wondering how long do i have to wait to add coral, ive heard alot of different times. ive heard to let it run for a year first, and add them right away, im just wondering because i want my tank to be as beautiful as can be and i know that coral will deffinately do that for it :) thanks for reading:D

I put my first corals in about a month after my cycle was over. I think that you can put corals in when your parameters are good. But I started off really slow. I put 3 small frags in my tank, a zoa, alveopora, and xenia. About 3 months later, when I saw that they were growing well, then I soon started adding more. It all depends on your tank. If I were you I would first start off with maybe 1 cheap frag and see how it's going. Then maybe a month later you can start adding more corals. I would start with the easier corals such as zoanthids, mushrooms, and other soft corals.

reefnoob made a VERY important statement without actually saying it....GO SLOW!!!! And thenslow down even more....shocking a new and fragile bio base is really easy to do by adding too much too fast....

The best 2 pieces of advice that I was told about this hobby--

"Be very patient, nothing good happens fast"

"Don't look at this hobby as keeping fish or coral. You are keeping water. Water quality determines the health of your fish and your coral."

It's not a concrete timeframe. Good water is key and all good things will come naturally. I moved most of my corals from an established tank to a 90 that had finished its cycle about a week earlier and never had a problem.

part of moving things into a fresh tank like that is having the experience to spot an issue early enough to deal with it....

As Sen and a few others mentioned, its about water quality and stability. If you can keep water quality from fluxuating and are at adequate levels, this is the key to reefkeeping.

(This is also why its easier to have a large tank compared to a small tank, levels are not able to fluxuate in a large tank as easy)

Back