All four emerald crabs missing or dead :-(

avery155

Reefing newb
So after not seeing my four emerald crabs for a few weeks I got a lil worried. I started looking around the tank and all I could find was two top part of their body and one claw. Last I saw one was about two weeks ago but he never moved and was out in the open I thought it was a molt but now I think mysteriously all of them have died. I also had a dart fish go missing about a month ago. I'm not sure if he got stuck under a rock while i was aquascaping it ify goby burrows him alive but his brother is still happily alive.

My only thoughts are. My salinity was a little high 1.30. I think that is why ally zoas are closed up for the last few days. And the temp was 80.2 f. So I know something is off because my zoas haven't opened. All other fish and corals are doing great. So is my BTA.

Your salinity is a bit high, but not to the point where it will kill your inverts..inverts like higher salinity. Unless it went up high drastically/too sudden. And the temp is good. My tank temp has gone up to 88* before and my crabs lived. How do your nitrates look and do you think you may have any unknown pests (mantis shrimp) that may be killing stuff in your tank?

I'll check nitrates tonight. Only clicking I hear once in a while is what I thought was my hermit crabs hitting the glass. My zoas still haven't opened up today. Im going to do another water change again tonight.

Have you looked at those zoas close? Give them a real good inspection and make sure there are no slugs on them.

Ok I scouted around with my flashlight. Noticed nothing on or crawling on the zoas. Other than some copepods. Which by the way I never realized how many I had. ( must resist urge to get mandarin). But anyway. Temp was 81.2 tonight I turned my heater down a bit. I think the tank temp has gone up a bit since I keep the house at 70 in winter and 68 in summer. Next I turkey based my zoas gently to clean off any gunk that might have landed on them.
I was unable to find my second fire fish today. Hope he was just hiding :-/.
I ran my water test and found out that my ammonia was sky high. This alarms me. Especially since I did a water change yesterday. I always add sea chem prime to my water changes and just put three capfuls in my tank 120 gal total volume.

After beating my head trying to think what I did wrong I think i figured it out. About two or three weeks ago I bought a large piece of live rock about 15 lb. When I put it in I rearranged everything in the tank. Including turkey basting the rocks and leveling out the sand dunes that my goby made. This must have caused a spike. Possibly causing the deaths of 4 crabs and 2 fishes :-/. And possibly my zoas If i can't get this ammonia down stat. Thankfully all other corals look good my bta looks good as well as my fish, shrimps, hermits and snails.

So now the battle is on. I feel like a horrible fishy father

Double check that ammonia before doing anything drastic.If the ammonia was that high,you BTA would probably be the first to start going down hill,followed by the shrimp.

Back