• Yes

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
What is your opinion on the need for a Corals section to our forum. It seems that our "Newbies to Reefing" and "Reef Talk" sections are close to being the same thing and could be simplified and easier to research things by adding a Coral Thread. If we get positive feedback for this addition Ian will put it into effect asap. What is your vote?

I would agree with the 3 different forums too, but I didn't want to get too much done at first. I doubt it would be that difficult for Ian to do. He said that the more people interested in a change then the better and he has no problem doing it.

I hate to be a wet blanket but I dont think that we "need" one. The one thing that I love the most about this forum besides the people is the ease of navigation. A ton of forums get way too specific, Im even glad that my freshwater idea didnt go over so well. Sorry to rain on everyones parade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rather get rid of the whole Marine Fish Topic section which isn't used much and add a Coral Section. Everyone just posts pictures, and asks Fish only, reef fish, fish disease questions in the Newbie to Reefing section anyway.

So where would someone who has a question about an anemone post? or any inverts for that matter...

If we're going to break things down, then not just corals should be divided...

I'm 50/50 on this...i'll think about it some more before i vote.

Honestly this forum is awesome, but I think taking the frequent users opinions all put together we could get this site perfect for everyone. Biff does a great job of moving posts that don't belong but there is still a little too much of a mush of stuff thrown together that could be more organized with more concise categories.

A coral question section is a good idea. But as for the three divided I don't really think a newbie would know which one to post in. I know when I started I had no idea that there were different groups.

A coral question section is a good idea. But as for the three divided I don't really think a newbie would know which one to post in. I know when I started I had no idea that there were different groups.

ditto

i would be lost wondering where to put it

I think it is a great idea Alto. I would keep it simple by just having one coral section and just exspect people to post there even when not appropriate, such as in reference to anemones.

I believe one coral section would be great.I would include anemones in with it as well.Its not quite a coral but they are very closely related.

I like Lionfish's idea.

Alto see the problem i have with your suggestion is that it will just get too confusing. for example, Noobs will start posting in SPS coral section asking about anemones or whatever...Then biff will have her hands full removing posts even more than now...i can foresee that happening.

Categorizing the livestock (not just corals) really does simplify things...I'm all for it.

The confusion of what coral is what is easy to avoid if we have a general coral section, along with a general fish and invert section. Anyone that posts about anemones in the coral section will just be moved to the invert section. I think it's a great idea. Maybe keep the Reef Talk section for general tank questions, and eliminate the Newbies to Reefing section and replace it with the three livestock sections? Or vice versa?

Lion does have a great idea.And I think it would be worth doing.
One things for sure though.We dont need to do anything that will make this site become like the others.This is the only forium that dont shun newBs or make anybody feel un-welcome.

Back