Alright... I am tired of this... Options...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
I cannot seem to maintain a calcium level of 400 or above or a dkh over 7-8... Calcium, even with dosing C Balance hovers at around 360... What are my options? I use Scripps water and it's Calcium is around 375... I don't really want to spend the money on a Reactor, so is Kalk the way to go... Please give me some optionsand the range of cost... Thank you...

Get another test kit.Your not even packed enough with corals to have problems raising calcium.If your still low,try dripping kalk or that Kent turbo calcium.

I'm using Kent liquid reactor now,I'll have to get back with you on how well it works.

I agree, get another test kit and take a sample to the LFS to see what they read it. It sounds like you are not mixing your own salt water. I would do that and get a premium salt like reef crystals. there is no need for a calcium reactor IMHO. I dose twice a week with Seachem calcium and keep my level at about 500. i checked it tonight and it dropped to 450 so I dosed it. Hope this helps

Maybe explain your situation so i can better understand, you mentioned something I am not familiar with...Scripps water? Please explain. I am a bit slow and it is getting late.

-Doc

Scripps water is from the Scripps Insitute in San Diego... It is natural seawater... I love using it because I can tell a difference in my corals and fish, they seem to respond well to the seawater... I don't know a lot about Kalk, but I will read up on it more... Also, what is the best Magnesium to use... I was using Kent, but I ran out and need to buy more....

The Kent magnesium is fine.I've never heard anything good or bad about any of the magnesium supplements.Kent liquid reactor is a calcium,strotium,buffer and magnesium supplement.Its to early to tell but I believe its going to work well for me.

Kalk is just highly concentrated calcium,thats why its use with the drip method.

that is what I thought you meant. I LOVE THAT AQUARIUM. I have been there many times and plan to go there again when I go down to San Diego for Christmas. I really like their touch pool outside in the back where you can play with the starfish. I am also in awe of that HUGE indoor display tank with the girabaldi (wow did I massacre that word) and leopard sharks. Anyway...sea water is naturally lower than what we are trying to do with our tanks. our levels are like steriods for corals. If we did it with just sea water, we would experience about 1/4 of an inch of SPS growth in a year. No thanks for me. If I were you, as much as you like natural sea water, I would switch to a good sea salt mixture with RO water. RO tends to be free at a good LFS, although in So Cal, not much is free. You will have more success with your tank that way.

Seachem makes the best calcium additive IMHO. It is the blue bottle of powder. If you switch to Oceanic (which i use currently) or Reef Crystals (which I buy when it is on sale) and dose just a touch weekly, you will have no problems maintaining high levels of calcium and DKh.

As for magnesium, I have never even thought of dosing that. Iodine, magnesium, strontium and all the other trace elements are in the supply you need with a good sea salt mixture, another benefit to making your own. Just my :twocents:

-Doc

Google making your own two pat solution. I have been using it for awhile now and afew other local reefers have been using it for along time. It sounds scary to use calcium chloride that you use to melt snow but it works awesome. Doc I am working on the pictures for you.

Docs right about the lower clacium levels in NSW.I use Oceanic salt which gives me a calcium level of between 480 and 500.
I also use the seachem reef complete calcium in powder when I need to dose it up(usually about mid-week).
If your doseing magnesium,make you sure test it.I'm currently using seachems reef advantage magnesium to keep it at 1400mg/l.

Back