Alright to put fish in newly setup tank?

Fishyyy

Reefing newb
I set up my 150 gal last 2 days ago and there is nothing in it but water. I was wondering if it's alright to put the fish in. ONCE AGAIN nothing but water in it and for a while until i convert everything.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a lot of research to do before you start adding things to your tank

Are you asking if you can put freshwater fish in the tank while you collect equipment to make it a saltwater tank? I guess I don't see an issue in this but I would let it run at least several days empty before putting anything living in the tank. If you do put freshwater fish in the tank and you later want to convert it to saltwater, what are you going to do with all the fish you'd have in the tank?

If you want to put saltwater fish in the tank after two days, you'll end up with dead fish, and a post on here asking what happened to them. You need to make sure the salinity is correct, you have your live rock and sand in place, and the nitrogen cycle needs to have completed before you add anything to the tank

This hobby is not a race, and you'll hear many people repeat this quote 'Nothing good every happens quickly in a reef tank' and it is definitely true

It sounds like you have a lot of research to do before you start adding things to your tank

Are you asking if you can put freshwater fish in the tank while you collect equipment to make it a saltwater tank? I guess I don't see an issue in this but I would let it run at least several days empty before putting anything living in the tank. If you do put freshwater fish in the tank and you later want to convert it to saltwater, what are you going to do with all the fish you'd have in the tank?

Even if it is freshwater fish the tank still needs to cycle. Or the freshwater fish will end up dead as well. And you can't cycle with just water in the tank and nothing else. even if it's only for freshwater,

Last edited:
Back