Also New To Reef Keeping

marsh11272

Reefing newb
Greetings all,

Finally taking the plunge (pun intended) and starting a saltwater tank. I've elected to go with starting a reef and not just a fish only tank. I've elected to go smaller because of my apartment size and have this Oceanic Biocube HQI 29G.

Two bags of live sand, 29lbs of live rock hauled 29g of sea water up to the third floor and I have a beautiful rock tank.

It's only been on for 2 days so we will see how this works out.

One question so far, this tank has a refugium as part of the built in filter system in the rear of the tank and a clear space on the glass to shine light in there. Do I need to do anything with this right now? I put some of the live rock in that section to create some more space in the main tank.

Here are some pics below.

Thanks,
Marshall N.

Attachments

• DSC02629.jpg
    DSC02629.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC02628.jpg
    DSC02628.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 348
  • web.jpg
    web.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 324
Get yourself a ball of chaeto...they grow fast with the proper lighting, and will keep the nitrates down. But you can wait until you have livestock to add that.

Nice bit of aquascaping!

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the site!
You don't have to do anything with the back section right now, But if you have the bioballs in there, I would suggest taking them out. Other than that, looking good after 2 days

Welcome to the site and the hobby.
I wouldnt do anything with the tank ( except keep it topped off ) for the next couple of week.Maybe test for ammonia and nitrites to see if its gonna cycle.
Thats a great start BTW.Looks good.:D

Back