Alternating powerheads

cms

Reefing newb
I have a 90 gal tank with two powerheads, I have only been using one, my corals are mostly moderate current types, but I would like to add the second one to change up the flow a little. What is the best way to do this? Someone mentioned timers, but I need to know every how often should they alternate, and should they run simultaneously at any time during the day and for how long. Also, any suggestions on which timer I should look for? Thanks.

While i personally believe that random flow is best, you could also just run them both at the same time - generally speaking more flow is a good thing, even if it is static flow. As far as timers, I think what you're thinking of are wavemakers. What kind of powerheads are they? There are several wavemakers you could consider, such as the Hydor SmartWave or the Red Sea Wavemaker

While i personally believe that random flow is best, you could also just run them both at the same time - generally speaking more flow is a good thing, even if it is static flow. As far as timers, I think what you're thinking of are wavemakers. What kind of powerheads are they? There are several wavemakers you could consider, such as the Hydor SmartWave or the Red Sea Wavemaker

I have 2 koralia 750 gph but have only been using one. Corals are doing good, but I'm wondering, it seems most everybody uses multiple powerheads

I have 2 koralia 750 gph but have only been using one. Corals are doing good, but I'm wondering, it seems most everybody uses multiple powerheads

In a 90 gallon, you're really going to need more than a single 750 to get the water moving as much as it should be. Since you have two 750''s I'd put one on each side pane of the tank and point them at each other

in my 120 gal i am running 2 1500lph on 1 side of the tank and a 1700lph wavemaker on the other side i have 2 facing each other and 1 pointing up to break the surface and it give me a nice turbulant water flow and all my corals love the constant water movement changes !!

I've just put in my thrid powerhead in my 90. So far got a 750, 850, and 1400 hydor evos. I have another 1400 I'm going to be switching for the 750 or just adding it in.

i have 2 750 evos and a 400 in my 37 gallon and i run the constantly. a 750 on each side, and the 400 in the middle. i see no need for a wavemaker because the powerheads waves colliding makes some really turbulent flow.

Back