Alternative to sand?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Is there a good alternative to sand for your substrate? When I get to the point that I am ready to fill my new 40 gallon up, I'll be looking for other options. I have a sand base in my 75 and no matter how I position the powerheads, I still get a big blown out area in the middle of my tank and it just drives me nuts so I was thinking if there was something else that people use to avoid this problem.

More rock? less powerheads? different angle? Moving away from sand isnt a great idea as the other option you will have is crushed coral. Crushed Coral is bad because its big enough to trap food, wastes, and other things releasing nitrates back into your system.

Well it's not that it flies around a lot but I guess when the powerheads are on, no matter how I position them, the current gradually moves the sand around til I'm bare minus the egg crate at the bottom.

Right now I have them, one on each side, about 3/4's up the back of the tank. They are pointed upward just enough to disturb the top of the water and it still pushed the sand away from the front middle of the tank. Drives me nuts!

What power heads are you using, sounds like you have a jet stream which creates your issues, try koralia's to create a push rather than a stream.

in a 75? I have 2 1400's and a 750, and dont have any bare spots.... You may need more rock, or I would suggest moving the powerheads down a few inches in the tank and then angling them somewhat upward. If you aim them towards the front of the tank you will still get bottom movement.

Yeah, I don't have a whole lot of rock and always figured that could be the problem. I'll try movng them maybe half way down the back and aim them up and see what happens.

They are both on the back glass, one on each end. Left one maybe 10 inches off the side and the right one is just about all the way on the right. Both facing slightly upward and towards the center.

I have oolite sand in my tank with about a 45 times per hour turnover rate in my tank.. doesnt move one bit.. just took a little adjusting of the powerheads to get it right.. I too have them on the back pointing slightly upwards..

Try moving your power heads to the sides of your tank (one on the left and one on the right, close to the top) instead of on the back glass. Point them slightly upwards and let them blow lenghtwise across your tank instead of back to front. Hopefully that will help with your sand problem.

Back