Altohombre's 46 Gallon Showcase Showdown!

I would steer clear of the windex. I think it contains ammonia. You don't really want any chemicals at all near your tank if you can avoid it. I don't have any good suggestions for what to use though. We just wipe it down with a damp cloth.

(For some reason page 2 won't load for me, so if someone has already mentioned this, my apologies.)

hmm the flame angel looks like a great centerpiece fish as well. Damn this is gonna be hard. I am glad that my next planned purchases are only inverts. What do you guys suggest in terms of shrimp? I was leaning towards a cleaner shrimp to take care of my clowns.

I definitely would, didn't know how many would be ok in my tank. How much would they effect the bio-load. I'd prob rather have an extra fish as opposed to an extra shrimp.

Shrimp don't affect the bioload. Inverts like that don't count. In a 46 gallon tank, you could have a pair of cleaners or other "large-ish" shrimp, as well as a few smaller shrimp like peppermints.

woohoo, sounds like a plan! How long is a good time to wait before introducing shrimp. Right now my tank has been up and running for 26 days. I haven't introduced any inverts yet.

How long has it been since your levels have been stable (ammonia and nitrites at zero)? I would wait about a month after the tank has stabilized before adding shrimp as they can be very sensitive to changes in water parameters.

hmm I'd say my ammonia and nitrates have been stable for maybe 10 days. I'd have to go downstairs and check my chart to be sure, but i'm too lazy at the moment.

Wait untill you've had stable params for about a month before adding shrimp.
That way you dont have to worry swings that stree the inverts.

how long should I wait to add another fish? My clowns are True Percula so I know they are somewhat territorial. Do they need a while to establish their territory before adding another fish to the tank?

Damn, it was so hard looking at a naked tank and now that there is two inhabitants I can't stop watching them. Now I feel like it is naked with just those two and want to give them more things to entertain them. I guess this is why people can't stop buying things for their tank.

2/16/08

Just added a couple inverts:

6x Nassarius Snails
6x Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

bought a Seifert Calcium test kit as well.

If it'll make you feel better Alto.
Wanting to get stuff for the tank never ends.Its a battle we all fight and more often then not,loose.

Dude you're playing the waiting game a lot better than most of us. Keep up the good patience, its rewards are well worth it. You save a lot of money that way.

I think I am going to be able to borrow a digital camera this week. I am anxious to take the pictures and get some feedback.

Back