Am I doing this right?

lilreefgirl

Reefing newb
I need to know if I'm doing this right.
I still dont have my tank set up - the last steps are drilling the tank and building the stand.

I picked up about 50lb+ of LS, very live, very smelly.
I also picked up about 20lb of LR, also very live, very smelly.

I put 15lb of the LR and only about 5lb of the LS in my 10g (that already had 15lb of dry sand) with a koralia 1 and a heater. (I also added a cheap Top Fin HOB filter - not sure why, but I thought it might help) The tank has an incandescent light - should I leave it off?

I put the remaining 45lb+ of LS, 50lb of dry rock and about 5lbs of the LR in a large rubbermaid bin with a Koralia 3 & a heater. (seeding the dry while I am waiting to get the other things done with the DT)

I separated everything because it all wouldnt fit in the big rubbermaid container.
It smells like hell! (how long will it take for the smell to go away?)

Should I be doing anything with it? (it will probably sit for at least a few weeks before it can go into the tank)
The live rock also has things on it that I am worried might be soft corals - I dont have a proper light set up for the 10g. I do have a used Coralife 48" pc unit, but it would be pretty much overkill on the 10g!
There may also be some snails in there, I am not sure if they are live or dead, but they were buried in the LS - one was on top attached to a piece of rock, so that one appears to be alive. I put that one in the 10g.
Please let me know what you think I should do...thanks!

I have added some pics of both "set ups" so you know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• rubbermaid with LS + LR.jpg
    rubbermaid with LS + LR.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 301
  • LR2.jpg
    LR2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 312
  • LR1.jpg
    LR1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 303
  • is this a coral.jpg
    is this a coral.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 319
  • 10g with LR.jpg
    10g with LR.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Usually the more smelly it is the more dead that is on it. That is good for a cycle. Not good for an established tank. I have had mushrooms etc live through a cycle. They don't need special light or anything either. If they live then they are fine.

Usually the more smelly it is the more dead that is on it. That is good for a cycle. Not good for an established tank. I have had mushrooms etc live through a cycle. They don't need special light or anything either. If they live then they are fine.

Is that what that thing is? :)

that looks like either a shroom or a polyp. Either is pretty easy to keep and will most likely live through the cycle. If it has tons of little tenticles its a polyp. if its more smooth its a mushroom.

It's definitely a mushroom. It may or may not survive the rocks curing. If it doesn't, no big deal. They are one of the most common corals in the hobby.

Okay, tell me if I'm seeing things, but I think my latest hitchiker is a tiny little starfish. It is no more than 1/2 an inch wide, sitting on a bubble algae. Looks like it might be light in colour with a bit of brown on it, but too small to get a good picture of. Will the little guy survive?

The Starfish is probably a mini Brittle or more likely a Asterina starfish if it doesn't hide in the holes of the live rock.

Okay, I got a picture of the little guy:

I also tested the levels this morning (same levels in both tanks)

SpecGrav - 1.022
PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I am sure it is too early for stable reading.
Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!! :)

Attachments

• starfish.jpg
    starfish.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
It can take a few days for ammonia to show up, if it shows up at all. I say to give it a week. If everything is still reading zero, then you should be good to go.

Thanks Biff,
I now have brown gunk (algae?) on the glass and along the top of the sand. Good/bad??
When I put this rock and sand into my display when it's ready, should I be rinsing it? It is very dirty!
Thanks!!

Oh, also wondering if I should set up my skimmer in the larger container, it might be difficult fitting it in, and honestly, I'm not 100% sure how to use it! ( bought it used )

Last edited:
I'd personally pull those startfish out. They can multiply like crazy. Rinsing the rock won't hurt at all. I usually shake mine off in a bucket of RO water to kinda clean it and hopefully get any hitchhikers off.

Back