1 Flame Angel
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Engineer Gobies
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
Zoanthus colony
Xenia
Nasarius & Astrea Snails
Sand Sifting Starfish

My thoughts: The flame angel, while beautiful and happily settled in, will go the instant he starts grazing on the Xenia, and the star will probably also go back as the tank is too young to support him. Right now I am hand-feeding him, and it's a challenge to keep the other critters away long enough for the star to consume the food I'm placing under him.

The Flame, star and xenia were all sold to me at the same time, and I'm more than a little PO'd, as the entire transaction was based on mis-information - the LFS knows I am building a community of fish and coral - let the buyer beware, yadda yadda yadda - we all know the drill: research first, buy later, move slowly - none of which I did when I bought those 3 items).

Obviously, I digress. Today's chemistry test yielded Nitrates of 5, everything else good. So - do y'all (thanks for the spelling lesson, Yote) think I've gone as far as I can with fish population in a 55? I have 2 powerheads, 1 Remora Skimmer, and an in-tank Tetra filter (4 sources of water flow)...

Yeah, I wouldn't add anthing else. Hopefully the maroon and the coral banded don't give you any troubles. If the you didn't have a yellow tang I would say you would be alright to add another fish. How big is the tang? Tangs need a lot of swimming room. I just added a yellow tang to my 55, however I only have 2 black clowns and I don't plan on adding any other fish.

Good luck

i would think you could add more corals. as far as fish you may be pushing it having the yellow tang. it also depends on how much live rock you have taking up space. you could probaly have several other small fish if you get rid of the tang. imo
i currently have 5 fish in my 55. a yellow clown goby, 2 true percs, 1 diamond watchman goby, 1 sixline wrasse and 1 cleaner shrimp. i will probaly add 3 or 4 more smaller fish. to me my tank looks pretty bare right now.
i also have some green star polyps, a huge xenia, frogspawn, mushrooms, and zoanthids as far as corals go. not to mention feather dusters and cleaner crew. i don't feel my tank is anywhere near overstocked yet. i.m.o you are not overstocked either.

The tang is pretty small (check my pics) - I realize he'll need to go in a year or so as he outgrows the tank - but by then I won't need him (got him to help with new tank algae control). The Maroon is pretty mellow (actually has bonded with the Tang; they are more or less inseparable - he even chows on seaweed put in the clip because the tang does...) I've got about 50lbs of live rock, but alot of it is that fiji branching type that creates lots of nooks and caves...

I don't think you are overstocked. I kept 13 fish in my 55 gallon for over a year and a half, one of them being a yellow tang. If you have enough live rock and filtration to keep the water quality high, then you can add more fish. You are definitely no where near maxed out on corals! Maybe leave the fish alone for a while and start focusing on building more of a reef.

I dont know that I would add any more fish.But thats just me.Your system will let you know when its over loaded.

I will give a word of caution on that coral banded shrimp though.They know predators that will eat anything they can catch.I had one that loved to munch on corals,So it went to the LFS and traded.

I don't think you are overstocked. I kept 13 fish in my 55 gallon for over a year and a half, one of them being a yellow tang.

I'm not going to say nothing!

Having five fish in a 55 gallon doesn't sound much at first.The size of the fish and how large they can get is more of the issue.Even the Maroon can grow up to 6''.If your plan is to upgrade 2 years from now then maybe one or two small fish (that stay small)should be okay.I always found corals more interesting(although thats changing),you have the lights so fill her up with corals....slowly of course.

Thanks guys - I'm going to spend money today (HOORAY! SPENDING MONEY IS FUN!!!). I'm going to add some cheap frags and a frog spawn and see how they do. Hibye, I've got a Nova T-5 Extreme light fixture. I DO want to add a small blue hippo tang as my last fish. As it relates to the coral banded shrimp, I'm not a fan of the critter. He's creepy - but seems so far unable to catch anything, and is also, so far, not interested in either of the corals. But I am heartless - if he messes with my stuff - I'll dredge him in flour and toss him in some hot oil.

I would definitely pass on a hippo tang. Especially in a 55 gallon tank. It is an ich magnet and will likely get every fish in your tank sick. They are just not good fish to keep in small tanks, even if the fish itself is small.

I've heard that before about hippo tangs - so, Thanks Biff - you are one of my guru's and I never reject your words of wisdom - that said, do any of you have a suggestion for a blue fish? Chronis don't do much for me, but I may go there if there's nothing else that'll work.

Hmmm...blue fish, blue fish... Yellow tail blue damsels are some of the "nicer", less aggressive damsels. Blue gudgeon and scissortail gobies are blue. The sunrise dottyback is hard to find, but is very pretty (blue with yellow outlines). Neon gobies are black and blue (but they are little). That's about all I can come up with as far as blue fish go. You could get a blue devil damsel, but you really risk him beating up your other fish.

as far as blue fish go... grab a yellow bellied damsel (they are similar in temperment and coloration to the yellow-tail) They are really blue and striking for a small fish, they also play nice with other fish.

Don't forget about a royal gramma (add him sooner than later), as they are such striking fish.

Can't wait to see pics after adding frags. Best of luck

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I picked up a neon-green frogspawn and a green caulestrea, and am acclimating them right now... pics after the settle in to their new home.

Last edited:
Excellent choices for new corals. Be sure to look at the caulastrea at night with a little flashlight, they are amazing to see with all their little tentacles extended.

Best for corals and if you ever want an anemonie....I figure if I but a light bar now and spend a few bucks on it, and knowing me I will want to upgrade it later, might as well spend a few more bucks and get the MH rig...

Back