Am I headed the right direction?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
Tank has been cycling since the 1st. I'm checking water parameters every 2 days, cycling with live rock/sand. Two days ago they were:

6/14/09
pH: 8.2
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 20-40(beginning to think I'm color blind so I'd call it a 30)..
Specific gravity: 1.023

I'm getting 30lbs of cured live rock tomorrow to bring me closer to 1.5lbs/gallon. Should I do a water change then? Or just let it keep cycling? If so, how much?

In contrast, on the 11th:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 20
Specific gravity: 1.022

I am also slowly trying to raise my specific gravity to about 1.024-5. I also need to get an Alk test kit and a thermometer. What else do I need to get in order? 2 weeks from Wed, I'd like to get a fish if my levels are right. It'll be another month after that before I'll be able. Of course if I need to wait I don't have a problem with that.

Getting this stuff from a lfs in San Antonio. Stuff around here isn't great and it's worth the 4 hr drive to get it. Thanks!

I'd wait untill nitrites hit 0 and stayed there for a couple of days before I did a water change.That way you dont prolong it.
When you top the tank off,top it off with saltwater untill your salinity comes up to 1.025-1.026.

I'd wait untill nitrites hit 0 and stayed there for a couple of days before I did a water change.That way you dont prolong it.
When you top the tank off,top it off with saltwater untill your salinity comes up to 1.025-1.026.

Thanks!

I have been doing that with the topping off. Was hoping it was OK to do it that way. The way things are going, my nitrites and ammonia SHOULD be at 0 by the weekend, almost guarunteed. Is it OK to leave it with no bioload for a week or should I introduce something into the tank while waiting on fish?

Also, aside from alk and a thermometer, anything else you'd recommend for me?

Hi Gdbyrd,

Welcome to living reefs.

Do you have a skimmer? If not....that is the most important piece of equipment you will buy for your tank - IMHO.

If you are running a sump, there are a variety of in-sump skimmers you can purchase. If no sump, I would recommend an Octopus HOB type.

You may also look into a RO/DI system.

Heck, while your at it....how about a Mercedes?
Jeesh, you ask about simple test kits and I suggest high ticket items!!!!

:-) Good luck with the cycle....seems to be moving forward. Get ready to add your CUC.

Hi Gdbyrd,

Welcome to living reefs.

Do you have a skimmer? If not....that is the most important piece of equipment you will buy for your tank - IMHO.

If you are running a sump, there are a variety of in-sump skimmers you can purchase. If no sump, I would recommend an Octopus HOB type.

You may also look into a RO/DI system.

Heck, while your at it....how about a Mercedes?
Jeesh, you ask about simple test kits and I suggest high ticket items!!!!

:-) Good luck with the cycle....seems to be moving forward. Get ready to add your CUC.

haha! If anything's getting tossed in there it's going to be a yellow Ferrari!

I do have a skimmer and it's been running for about a week, maybe two. It's a BakPak, I've heard it's not the greatest so I'm looking into getting something different. Wife said a big N-O to a RO system. Watermill is right around the corner so I can get that stuff from there just about anytime.

Alas, no sump at the moment. Still using my crappy bio-wheel filters too. Want to get rid of those bad. They do cause an awesome amount of topwater turbulence though...but still going as soon as I get a skimmer I trust in.

Can I get a small clown first then work on my CUC? Being as patient as I can, but literally all my purchases are going to be had by a solid 8 hr round trip for me. If not, would you recommend I pick up some starters tomorrow when I get the rock?

Again, if need be I can wait. Just getting ancy + flack for a $800 piece of furniture with some really expensive rocks(so says the lovely wife :P)

Unfortunately, you're not ready for livestock.
With Nitrite in your tank (and new rock on the way), anything you add will be fishbait.

Wait until your parameters settle to zeros across the board. Then, wait a few more days, water change, aquascape (if you haven't already) add a CUC and ONE fish or a pair.

You will need to take care of the waste in your tank. A CUC of snails and / or hermits will do the trick. I would pickup a serpent star too.

I had biowheels on my starter tank too. They lasted 1 month before the salt killed them. I got an OCTOPUS HOB skimmer from HERE. I would definately recommend this for your size tank.....it will keep your water clean and your parameters even.

The skimmer will be the best & smartest $200 bucks you ever spend on your system.

Unfortunately, you're not ready for livestock.
With Nitrite in your tank (and new rock on the way), anything you add will be fishbait.

Wait until your parameters settle to zeros across the board. Then, wait a few more days, water change, aquascape (if you haven't already) add a CUC and ONE fish or a pair.

You will need to take care of the waste in your tank. A CUC of snails and / or hermits will do the trick. I would pickup a serpent star too.

I had biowheels on my starter tank too. They lasted 1 month before the salt killed them. I got an OCTOPUS HOB skimmer from HERE. I would definately recommend this for your size tank.....it will keep your water clean and your parameters even.

The skimmer will be the best & smartest $200 bucks you ever spend on your system.

Awesome! Good news in several areas there. Thanks. I was looking at Octopus but wasn't sure which one in particular to get. Glad that the biowheels will shut down by themselves. Makes me feel better about replacing them sooner rather than later.

I think when the time comes I will start a post in the fishy forum to get brainstorming about my first tankmates. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Aquarium Filters
Tell the wife how much money your gonna spend buying RO water and how much time it will consume hauling water, etc.....
Your own unit WILL save time and money. Ask any reefer!

Or just have her be the one running to get the water.Within a couple of months,SHE"LL be wanting that RO/DI system:mrgreen:

Back