Amazing fish transformations video, Caribbean edition

Nezmo

Reefing newb
As aquarium keepers, we often only get to see one phase of a fishes lifespan, and some not at all, because of size. One thing that struck me when I first went out on the reefs was the various phases of fishes, from the juveniles through various sexes and adult fish that I had never seen before. I have made 8 trips to the Caribbean, and have accumulated enough footage to show some of the transformations that we might not always see if we just have them at home in our tanks.
Many fish species undergo remarkable transformations through their lifespan. In this video we look at 5 Caribbean species and observe their changes. First is the Queen Angel that starts out as a colorful little blue and yellow striped juvenile and becomes the magnificent adult queen angel. Next is the Spotted Drum which starts out looking like a black and white striped head with two long ribbons attached. Eventually the "ribbons" shorten into the body and tail, and a high dorsal fin. The adult version is nocturnal, so we only see them early in the morning, or at sunset. It is an abstract combination of stripes and spots and is one of the most striking fish seen on the reef. Next we see the French Angel from the tiny juvenile that sets up a cleaning station to the larger semi-adult that starts losing it's stripes to the huge adults with their yellow-flecked scales and grayish face. Next up is the yellow-head wrasse that begins as a bright yellow-orange female with a neon blue stripe and eventually becomes a male with different patterns and colors. We finish with the stoplight parrotfish as it changes from a female to a male with completely different colors on each version. From the checkerboard pattern on their backs, and bright red undersides of the female to the bright green male.
Please check it out, you might just see something you haven't seen before.

We invite you to subscribe to our channel to keep up with the latest video updates, and check out some of what we have in there of particular interest to our fellow aquarists.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiaiesuKrYlwg6aJWeiR0g?sub_confirmation=1

Back