Amba's Dream Tank

Amba

Ol' Salty
Finally, it is time to upgrade and do the tank that I've always wanted to do. I didn't want to start this thread too early before I had some stuff to put on here, but now I do, so here we go! The tank itself is not here yet; the date I'm hoping for is November 10th, at the ABC reef frag swap. It's going to be a 55 gallon long; the perfect size. A big part of the equipment I am using on this tank came in today; almost everything was purchased from either Bulk Reef Supply, or MarineDepot.

Some Equipment Details:

Calcium Reactor: I went with the AquaC RX-1 Calcium Reactor. I got the package with the solenoid (what a beauty!) and the CO2 tank. This thing was expensive but it really is one of the best Calcium Reactors you can get. It uses an EHEIM pump (1250GPH I believe). It also has a neat spot for a pH probe.

Protein Skimmer: I am using the larger version of the skimmer that I used for my 29g. Eshopps makes it, and I absolutely loved the nano version of this skimmer. It works extremely well, and once you get it dialed in (the only complaint by some customers) it really is a great skimmer.

AquaController: I chose the ReefKeeper lite for my build, because I know a lot of people have had success with this, and because it seemed perfect for my tank. I have 2 PC4's, the pH probe/temp probe, and room to add more.

UV: I went with the Aqua Ultraviolet 8 watt UV sterilizer for my build. This UV sterilizer has a wiper built in to clean gunk out of it gets plugged up. I also got an extra bulb for it just in case.

There are many more things I am using from my 29 gallon build including both of my BRS Dual reactors, the single reactor, JBJ ATO system, heaters etc. I did upgrade to an EHEIM return pump. Here are some pictures to perk your interest. I still have a long way to go, but at least at this point I have some physical stuff.

th9EV.jpg

e7yhe.jpg

iDhqJ.jpg

65l4B.jpg

Id6XO.jpg

CENT5.jpg

C5195.jpg

LIGHT TIME!

So I unboxed my light today, and man this thing is a TANK. Shipping weight was over 100lbs. Here's some specs:

48 Inch 2x150 Watt 20,000K HID 2x54 Watt 420/460 NM AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 4 Lunar LEDs

Here's the link to it if anyone wants to look:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...T5-AquaticLife-AK01055-FILTFIMHTSHDT5-vi.html

Anyways, this monster came with a very nice hanging kit, and legs, although I'll probably never use the legs. It's a gorgeous light, and powerful enough to sustain life with any coral. The HQI lamps are movable spotlight style, so I can accent certain areas of the tank more than others. It has an onboard computer for controlling all timers etc, so I won't have to use the reefkeeper with this (more space for other toys!).

Here are some pictures for you picture cravers:

3ugem.jpg

ckLak.jpg

1wLuE.jpg

dIkqZ.jpg

qMOjb.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to include this, I'm using the JBJ Ocean Pro for my powerheads. I've heard good things about this unit, here's a picture of the controller. This will be used for night time/supplemental water movement; as I am moving the powerheads from my current tank as well (will use the reefkeeper for these 24/7 powerheads). This way I will have diverse water movement, and the controller is snazzy too! :p

fQSiX.jpg

I'm thrilled with the JBJ Oceanstream 500gph powerhead I bought a few weeks ago. Love how small it is (compared to the annoyingly huge Hydors).

So I hung my light today, it took a better part of 4 hours start to finish. It's so bright that it kind of screwed with the last picture (Plus I'm using my iPhone for these, regular camera is on loan). I'm really happy with the results, this thing is sooooooo heavy. I'll take some more pictures later if anyone wants them. I also installed the bulbs, 2x 20,000K HID, 2x T5HO (Actinic), and 4x LED (Blue).

upzhM.jpg

aq7vL.jpg

c0SC9.jpg

zpGx8.jpg

Just got an earlier date for the tank than I thought. Official pickup date, 10/14/2012, 9AM so I can spend the whole day doing little projects. Still have to pick up two buckets of reef crystal, and choose my substrate. I'm thinking black sand, but not decided yet. I'll also be starting the saltwater mixing area this week, probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Went to Lowes today and got a nice shelf to hold all my RO/DI water and my bottles/jugs of BRS supplements etc. Also got a bunch of buckets to hold fresh RO/DI water, and a xtra tough tote to hold my top off water. More pics to come.

hGJj8.jpg

Here's some more goodies, the buckets will be for RO/DI water. I'm going to mount the reefkeeper, a TDS meter (for the BRS RO/DI to be installed upstairs), and the ocean's pro onto the front of this with some Scotch Mounting Tape (awesome stuff).

KchKg.jpg

dfKjv.jpg

nGrnb.jpg

Back