Ammonia and Nitrite levels

gator

Reefing newb
Yesterday our tank had 0 ppm of ammonia and 0ppm of nitrites. We introduced 2 clowns and 1 sail fin tang yesterday for the first time. I just tested the ammonia and nitrite this afternoon and they are both now at .25 ppm? have i done something wrong? why did they go up in 1 day? how do I fix this?
thank you

Too much added at once I would say. If I were you I would look into returning the sailfin tang, they need much much bigger tanks (I believe its a 180 they need with 6ft of swimming room) and will perish in a small tank. Get some water changes ready and wait a few weeks before you add another fish.

I'm guessing its a newer tank. .25 is ok but shows your tank isn't cycled adequately. You will have to montior things to make sure it doesn't keep rising (and it will). You need to get ready for 50% water changes - and have pre-mixed water at the ready.

Get a piece of live rock from someone with an established aquarium and this will kick start everything.or buy something like microbacter 7.

If you have a 4ft 60 gallon - the sailfin should be fine in there for a while - they do get quite big fast - i have one in a 110.

Three fish at once was too many for your tank to handle. Especially if these were your first fish. It's best to add one fish at a time, leaving at least 3 weeks in between additions.

Back