Cody010493

Reefing newb
hey i just checked my water levels are
Nitrite-0ppm
Natrate-0ppm
Ph-8.3
sg.1.024
ammonia is 1.5

why is my ammonia so high? i have had the fish in tank for a while and now all of a sudden it has jumped this high? i did a 35 percent water change yesterday any ideas? haven't had anything die. also how can i lower it?

Have you cleaned out your canister filters? Canister filters are better for freshwater. I am not saying that it is your canister filter but it could be. Is your tank cycling right now and if it is how long ago did you start cycling the tank and what did you add of anything to start the cycle.

If everything else in the tank looks ok, I would think that the test kit might have gone bad. I would double check your reading with another kit.

Clean the canister till its sterling then pack it with ammonia absorbing media and run it for 24 hours. Do not leave it permanently hooked up to a marine tank.

fish have been in tank for about 2 months now and i cleaned the canister filter and all and nothing has disappeared and the test kit is still good b/c the exp. date is not even close to it.

They can still go bad, and how often are you cleaning the canister? They need to be cleaned at least weekly otherwise they will lead to water quality issues. They really aren't recommended for saltwater tanks anyways

Last time I had a spike I linked to me moving around some rocks and stiring up the sand, I use Prime which got it down in just a few minutes.

Back