Ammonia - How much is too high?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I'm seeing the first ammonia spike in my tank since I started it 2 years ago. The API test shows it might be as high as 0.5 ppm. How much is too high?

I think any ammonia is too high. Are any of your fish acting funny like breathing hard, at the water line or anything?

Are you sure you test is accurate I always retake a test when it seems off.

If its still up I would do a nice big water change like at 20-25%.

Have you added any rocks or fed any new foods to the tank?

I moved a lot of rocks around Friday and did a 50% change then a mini spike started 24 hours later. Last night my torch looked at death's door and my MD has got tail fin rot. MDs are more susceptible to bad water than other fish. My other fish are fine. I just finished another 50% change last night and ammonia came down.

It sounds like the mini cycle was probably the cause, but I'd just like to mention I had to buy 3 API ammonia kits before I got one that was reliable. You may want to have the LFS check to make sure if the readings continue

Oh yeah well any time I have EVER moved stuff around in fresh or salt water tanks it made my ammonia and then nitrates go up a bit. I would just continue testing and doing water changes every couple of days until its stable again

Have you added any rocks or fed any new foods to the tank?

I'm having ammonia issues right now and would like to know more about why new food will make your ammonia spike. I have fed my tank small chunks of shrimp lately and wondering if this could be harming my tank.
Thanks

If all the food isnt being eaten and you put in a large amount of it in the tank, it can cause an ammonia spike because there isnt enough bacteria to handle the decomposition of the food

table shrimp is fine to feed your fish, but most fish arent large enough to eat it, you might have to put it in a food processor and chop it up for them. You can also feed them squid, scallops and other seafoods you find at the grocery store

Back