Ammonia in mixing bin!?

Kizmar

#derpface
I tested the ammonia in my tank and it's showing at 0.2. I'm guessing because that starfish died. So I started mixing a bin of saltwater and decided to test the ammonia in there... It's reading at 0.8! Newley mixed saltwater shouldn't have ammonia in it should it? This mix is about 2 hours old right now. I'm not sure if I should dump it or wait.

No tap water. I usually use water that's run through my own R/O DI system [originates from a well], but today I went to Meijer and got their R/O water so I could do a water change quicker. I'm waiting for a test of the Meijer water to finish at the moment...

My R/O DI water tests 0. The Meijer R/O water tests 0. Tank tested closer to 0.1 this time.

I'm a bit baffled as to why my new mixed saltwater is testing close to 0.7...

Bad batch of salt maybe? Is it a new batch (to you)? Have you tested it when freshly mixed with your own RO water?

Salt mixed in a small container tested at 0 too.

After doing some reading, I'm guessing it's the pump I was using in the mixing bin. That pump was in my sump until I switched to the larger sump. It's currently running water with vinegar Then I'll run it with fresh water to clear it out.

I ended up buying premixed water from the LFS and even that tested between 0-0.1 with my kit so... /shrug.

Just another Saturday eaten up by my fish tank. ;)

It is not uncommon to get false positive readings with ammonia test kits. Especially the API kits. I would guess that if you are getting consistent low positives with water that shouldn't have any ammonia in it, that's what's happening.

It is not uncommon to get false positive readings with ammonia test kits. Especially the API kits. I would guess that if you are getting consistent low positives with water that shouldn't have any ammonia in it, that's what's happening.

That's probably what's happening with the 0.1 readings. I'm using a Nutrafin kit, has a bunch of tests in a blue briefcase looking thing.

Follow up on this: After running my pump and tube in a bin with water and a little vinegar for a couple days, it tested negatory for ammonia. (yay) Should have done that when I swapped the pump from the old sump to the mixing bin. Lesson learned...

Since catching the issue, the water params are back to normal (no trace of ammonia or nitrates from the tests). I am doing extra water changes for the next couple weeks as a safety measure.

Now... I'm fairly certain that the small ammonia that got into the tank (from two water changes ago) has caused my anemone to stress. It's tentacles have shortened and almost all of them look pinched off at the ends. It still appears to be eating little bits of food. It's condition has been stable (though poor) since the last water change a week ago.

New question is: At this point, what's the likelihood of this anemone getting back to full heath (rather then continuing to decline until death)?

Also, should I spot feed it SMALL bits of food daily, or just leave it alone and let the clowns take care of it?

Back