Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Can taking out my Sump Socks help with my tank as far as trying to lower my Nitrates?

I have realized that I have a Mantis killing critters and leaving some to decay and since I hear the killing almost everyday but have only seen one carcus I have to assume this is the norm.

I have never been able to see my Ammonia lower than .125 and it seems to move slightly higher once in a while and my Nitrites seem to stay at .1 ARRRRGGGHHH but this was the same result I got from straight up RO/DI water from my system that is only 2 months old if that.

I have been treating the tank for Nitrates for close to a week.

I am using the following not all at once but I have used 2 together but I have not noticed a big drop in Nitrates.

After 4 days I think and stress the word think my Nitrates have come down somewhere between 20-50 but the chart doesn't have an inbetween.

Kordon Amquel Plus
Seachem DI*Nitrifyer mix with Matrix
Seachem Stabilty
Instant Ocean Natural Nitrate Reducer

I was at 50 easy for a while with no fish problems or anything so I was like I have to do something.

I started using it but with no higher reading than 50 I don't know how far it has come down from. It could have been 100 for all I know. I just feel like the reading was not as red as it has been but it isn't as pink as the 20.

I was getting really mad I haven't seen any change but all I could tell myself was it had to have started super high beyond the 50 the chart tops at.

I actually was just thinking about it right now and I think there MAY be a smaller chart to the left you can dilute the water and get a higher reading but I will have to double that.

Has anyone used any of these with success and if not do you agree maybe you didn't think about that your were far beyond your charts highest readability so it didn't show up quickly like you were starting at 50 like my chart goes up to.

Well, if you don't clean out the socks regularly, then yes....that could be a nitrate factory. You don't necessarily have to take it out..just clean it in old tank water regularly.

Any trace of ammonia is not good. Plus it could be that your test kit is bad (even if you just bought it....trust me...i bought a brand new test kit, and it had wacky test results...did a side-by-side test w/ my lfs' own test kit, and mine was definitely off). Did your tank already cycle? If it did not, it probably is still cycling...but I dont' know how old your tank is...you might want to update your signature, which says you've been in the hobby for 1 day ;)

The only nonchemical way to remove nitrates is with water changes, and macroalgae (hence why a lot of us have chaeto in the sump, or have nitrate scubbers).

Before resorting to chemicals, I suggest you find the cause first. If it's just from lack of water changes, I'd do water changes first.

I did 2 water changes in the last 2 week or 1 week maybe.

The LFS had the same results but if you can tell me how my test kit is the same as my RO/DI machine? I mean it is not old and the meter says 0 on the out.

I have 3 pairs of socks and just rinse and so a bleach/water soak and they always look white and I change them 3-5 days.

I have Chaeto in my sump but it has been the same size for like a month. I thought maybe it was too small to start but no growth is not right.

Yeah, no bleach. You just killed off bacteria from your sock. You really should just do a rinse in old tank water. All you need to do is essentially shake off mucky stuff, but not kill the bacteria. They're useful; might as well keep them alive.

Plus it will take multiple water changes to get it back down. Nitrates will keep on going up unless you're more proactive in more water changes. You can test your new saltwater for nitrates. Just to be sure.

Look at it this way....the sock will have bacteria...the same bacteria that breaks down ammonia into nitrites, and nitrites into nitrates. So really, it's helps your tank. What DOESN'T help your tank is the food and poop that's stuck there. :)

Back