Ammonia poisoning--firefish

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Prior to me catching one of the mean firefish in the big tank to move him to the 10 gallon, I noticed his area around the gills was turning pinkish. Not just the gills, but a whole area, on both sides...no other weird signs of illness or distress, except he's a skittish li'l jerk...I mean, guy. The 2 clowns and the other firefish look normal.

So I move him to the 10 gallon (which around 3 weeks ago, housed an orange spotted goby that died, causing an ammonia spike, which I immediately treated with a large water change and some prime). At the time I put him in the 10 gallon, ammonia and nitrites were 0ppm, nitrates were around 5-10 ppm. I even had the fish store test the water for ammonia (which tested at close to zero, but not quite zero...maybe .1 ppm). But since putting him in there, the pink area around his gills seemed to be spreading to halfway down his body. I can't get a pic because he only comes out to eat or when he doesn't see me around (I peek...hehehe).

Could he be having ammonia poisoning?? So far, the citron I put in 2 days ago hasn't shown any signs. The firefish isn't gasping, and he's acting as skittish as he has been....always hiding under a rock, and coming out only to eat. Does anyone have a good pic of a fish suffering from ammonia poisoning?

I have never taken a picture of a fish having Ammonia poisoning. I googled it for you and here it is!

grouper2.jpg

Ammonia will burn the fishes gills.But I dont know that it would turn the flesh behind the gills pink.
Is it possible the firefish could have some kind of parasite in its gills?

Is it possible the firefish could have some kind of parasite in its gills?

Ungh. I wish the stupid thing would let me look at it long enough before darting into his little cave.

You know, I've considered putting a 1 way tint on my 10 gallon so I can see them (although darkly) and they can't see me :mrgreen:

Back