Amphipods(?) eating zoanthids? Snail ID

poolshark181

Reefing newb
i THINK these amphipods are eating my zoanthids. Also, this snail was seen trying to advance on my frag disk of zoa's too. What should i do about the amphipods/bothersome things

P1050331.jpg

P1050337.jpg

P1050341.jpg

P1050162.jpg

I would think those pods will only eat the zoas if they are dieing or are dead.I see tons of them at night in my tank and no zoas are getting eaten.The only snail that I know of that eats zoas are sundial snails,those are not.Sorry,I can't tell what kind it is.

did you check Melev's reef ID site for the snail? I got no ID on it. I agree with Reef on the pods not doing any harm

-Doc

i looked up melevs id and this looks horribly like a sundial. i thought they were baby turbo snails! i hope they arent sundials because i have a TON of these things

P1050343.jpg

Sun dials have very defined black/white patches. If it has a "snout" it could very likely be a whelk, in which case is bad.

I also second (or third, or whatever we are on) the idea that the pods aren't doing anything to your zoas. Are your zoas dying or looking sick?

Those pods are probably just eatting some algae off the rock around your zoas.
As for the snails,If I even had a thought that they might be sundials,I'd be yanking them out as fast as I seem them.

Back