amphipods, good or bad?

michelle

Reefing newb
I have what looks to be amphipods in my tank. On the site that reefreak linked me, it says they are pests that need to be erradicated immediately, but another site I found says they are fine as long as there aren't so many that they become an annoyance to the fish. Can someone offer an opinion here?
I had the trusty old flashlight going on my rock tonight a while after everything was dark. I was amazed at all the things that were living on it! I know thats why its called "live rock" but I never saw it before. worms and bugs everywhere. wow.

99% of amphipods are reef safe and are more likely to get eaten by fish than annoy them.

My description of amphipods are the larger pods(quarter to half inch)that look like rolly pollys or giant fleas.They are detritus and micro algae eaters.There's really no way to get rid of them physically without breaking down the tank.There are fish that will readily consume them.A six-line wrasse will be perfect for your size tank and keep the larger amphipods in check.

Here's more reading...........Amphipods by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

I agree with Freak, the vast majority of pods are good and are a sign of a healthy tank. Good live food source for your fish too.

im going to revive this post by adding that the amphipods in my tank did not read the book on how they should be reef safe. these freaks eat my zoanthids. i am 99% sure it's the little bastards eating my colonies. ive checked for nudibranchs and sundials, and they are not present. however, at night, ill see them swarming over my zoanthid frags and the next morning a few less polyps will open.

Back