Amquel plus?

jahel318

Reefing newb
I was thinking of using some amquel plus in my QT. I've been using Nite Out II for the last 3 weeks since my amonia and nitrites are sky high but it doesn'tseem to bring down these levels. On the contrary they seem to be getting higher even with water changes and vacuuming the poop/debri.

I'm sure someone has used Amquel. Does it really knock out amonia, nitrites, and nitrates within 5 minutes as it claims on the label?

Do you have any fish in that tank? I read yesterday that ammonia is more harmful for fish than nitrate. If you have them sky high you have some hardy fish if they are still alive. Hope you can solve this problem soon.

I've used Amquel in freshwater and wouldn't recommend it for trying to cycle a tank. Its more for bettas. I've used it as a safety if I have fish die before, but decided it was unnecessary. I wouldn't be willing to experiment in this case.

Maybe I got this all wrong, but you have fish in a QT with high ammonia, nitrites, and possibly nitrates under a hyposalinity treatment. I'd say that your fish are in a very stressful environment to be treated for a disease (ich)caused by stress.

Hope you can fix this soon. I think your tank is cycling, but I'm not expert.

OK so here's the update for those of you that haven't tried Amquel plus.......After 24 hours of the initial dose my amonia & nitrates were cut in half. Nitrites remained the same. After 48 hours & a seconde dose amonia and nitrates were undetectable and my nitrites were still high. I will do a water change tonight to see if it helps nitrites.....

Back