Amy Winehouse isnt the only 1 to OD so did my tank

JoeG

Reefing newb
so about 2months ago i was having some alge problems in my 28g nano cube so i picked up some red sea max NO3: PO4-X Biological Nitrate and Phosphate Reducer and the dosage said ml/100l , NO3>10 = 3 NO3 >2.5=2 NO3 >1 =1 and took it as 1= 100mL man was i wrong 1 actually meant 1! I had ODed my tank the CUC died 1st then corals then fish all with in a 3 day period. The water turned very acidic and smelled horrible.i then took down my tank and clean all the components to my tank about 4 days later i set the back up changing all the filter medium but still using the same sand and rock my tank quickly cycled i also dosed smart start to my tank but i think the live rock and sand was the main reason for my quick almost instant cycle . I have added to new peaces of hardware to my tank a ocean stream os-101 circulation pump and oceanic protein skimmer . fish and coral wise i have 1 blue chromis and 1 yellow tang and a cluster of zoas . Now I have a green hair algae problem thats why i have the yellow tang so tang police please dont arrest me lol.I'm waiting for my LFS to get some turbo snails in and emeraled crabs to help in the fight against the green hair algae. So please read dosage instructions carefully so you dont have to start over like i did But everything is on the up and up =)

1. That is not fair to the tang, not even a tiny tiny tiny bit.
2. There are much better ways of dealing with the algae. Putting a big fish in a tiny tank, where it will poop up a storm will not help your algae issue.

Reduce your feedings, do frequent water changes (are you using tap water?) and remove by hand. Also beef up your CUC, they are much better at eating up the algae.

Sorry to hear your losses...we all make those mistakes...but one mistake you can correct is returning that tang. Do you realize a lawnmower blenny would've been just as effective in ridding your tank of algae???? My LM Blenny is an algae monster. Within a couple of weeks, he decimated all signs of hair algae in my 125g.

I was wondering where the tang police were at! Yeesh, you guys took your sweet ass time getting here.
Are you testing your levels to make sure that your tank cycled properly? I'm not sure about sand and rock that was subjected too all of that and then reused, I would think anything beneficial they had would be gone.
Please return the yellow tang. We will all help you with lots of suggestions on how to get rid of your hair algae (Little Fish already did) without harming or causing a fish unneccesary stress that will certainly shorten his life span.

Im here!!!
smiley-devil03.gif

But seriously dude, take it back to the LFS.

Back