an interesting little video.....

WOW all they are going to do is destroy them why not transfer them to a new home or put them into the fish trade.

they cant do that doc because eventually everyone that wants one will have one and they will flood the market and that wont work, but also i love how they make lion fish out to be the ass hole of the sea, because of that story they will get the same treatment sharks got after jaws came out

I actually see their point, although they are not the asshole of the sea, they will cause havoc now that they are established in an area they are not native to. We are dealing with a similar situation up here on the great lakes with the cormorant. Destroying everything, and no natural predators to control the population.

Funny, i would have never guessed lion fish to be a pest. Surprised to see that they managed to survive and thrive in a place thats not native to them...

I dont really think they should eradicate the caught fish. I agree that they should sell them or do something useful other than destroying them.

All this time,I thought they were a tropical saltwater fish but they are finding them as far north as the coast of Maine.

In the defence of science!!! (not taking sides) they never said hauled away to be destroyed...... for all you know they could be releasing them back into their waters or in places where they have found decreased numbers do to people taking them for aquariums.

BUT.. it is amazing that they have come from 90 dagree waters all the way up to main? incredible desplay of adaptation.

That's actually a common problem with not only the lionfish, but lots of other fish in saltwater aquaria. People often dump their unwanted animals back into the ocean, without thinking of their native habitats and natural range. Some fish that's only found in Australia or the Philippines ends up off the coast of Florida, where it has no natural predators or anything to keep its population in check. It's too bad. Invasive species is the #2 reason for species to go extinct on this planet (habitat loss by humans is #1). The invasive species will drive many native species in the area to extinction. Just like the #1 reason, most invasive species are introduced by humans.

biff this wasnt due to humans dumping them back in the ocean, it was caused by hurrican andrew destroying homes that contained lionfish and then they washed into the ocean

I know they mentioned that in the video, but a lot of lionfish ARE dumped by humans. They say that most of them can be traced back to the hurricane, but a lot of them are released intentionally by people who get sick of having them as pets.

That's how our waterways ended up with the frankenfish. Someone released two in a local pond. Some people are so stupid.

in yellowstone lake some one introduced lake trout to it and now they can not get rid of them and they are killing the cutthrout and other native fish in the lake they say the numbers are in the thousands of them

There was a thing on National Geographic about somebody somebody catching a snakehead out of a lake in Michigan.
Like I said before,humans are the ther worst thing to ever be on this planet.

Lakes Erie and Ontario are overrun by snakeheads the DEC but a bounty on them I think. They just caught a rare angelfish in the long island sound, every summer a group does a tropical fish round up for flushed and released aquarium fish. Its a huge project. Ill post a link if I can find one.

Back