An opportunity perhaps?

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
I have found a 55 gallon tank with stand, light, filter and accessories for $50. The guy is moving out of state and has to get rid of it. This would set me up pretty well to use my 20 gallon tank as a sump if I put in some acrylic dividers.

do it! even if the other stuff is junky, that is great deal on the tank!
What freaks me out is the cost to get a tank of that size up and running. It would be a piece here and a piece there and probably take a while to get it going. To be honest I thought about doing a freshwater aquascape which I like the way they look and it wouldnt be quite so expensive. Can you have a tank with saltwater and live sand and add rock a little at a time until you get it all in there?

Sure! And this hobby is extremely expensive, but you can do things cheaper.

For starters you can get dry rock from places like this: Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available
And just one piece of live rock is all you need to start your tank.

Also, check out craigslist. Lots of people are always getting out the hobby and need to get rid of stuff for cheap.

I'm with everyone else, thats a great price for the tank. You can always pick it up and slowly start accumulating what you need to get the tank running

hey boss, $50 is a good deal if everything works and you need it all. Petco is running $1/gallon sale and a new 55g will cost you $55 and some change for tax. If all you need is the tank... pass on it!

hey boss, $50 is a good deal if everything works and you need it all. Petco is running $1/gallon sale and a new 55g will cost you $55 and some change for tax. If all you need is the tank... pass on it!
Well, its the tank. filter, light and everything else needed for a freshwater tank. Alot of it I can use I believe.

Well, its the tank. filter, light and everything else needed for a freshwater tank. Alot of it I can use I believe.

then that is worth it for sure. I dropped $200 on my used 55g, but it came with a t5ho fixture and co2 system...

as long as you're going to use everything that it comes with, go for it. But since we're on a salt water forum i was assuming you'd be going for just the tank which wouldnt be a good deal at all right now

The whole $1 per gallon at petco sounds great, but if he's like me and lives far enough away from petco that their site can't even tell me where the closest one is, then it could be way more of a pita than it's worth.

I went and picked up my new used tank today, the one I found on craigslist for $50. It is a hex bowfront with stand and it came with a 5 gallon sump and a protien skimmer with bio balls, algae magnet, 2 filters with boxes of cartridges and more stuff. I couldnt believe it had a sump and skimmer with it. The guy never mentioned that part. Saves me alot of money.

Back