And the science experiment continues...

Doc

I don't work for anybody
It has been a while since I have posted, and my tank has changed for the better. I still have a fairly aggressive reef tank, but I have removed the MOST aggressive...The Niger trigger. He never so much as hurt a coral, crab or snail, but started to munch his tankmates - lost a pari of skunk fish - he took a huge bit out of both of them overnite and they died the next day.

I am extremely happy with how my tank looks - pics will soon follow. My enhabitants are:

1 regal tang
1 purple tang
2 yellow tail blue damsels
2 purple firefish
1 flame angel
3 dispar anthias
1 pink skunk
1 radiata lionfish
2 ocellaris clowns
and today....I just added....

a blue / queen angelfish hybrid!!! Wish me luck on my LPS!

I got lucky with my radiata - he has been in my tank for about 6 months now and has not even so much as bumped a tankmate. He waits until the smaller fishes are out of the way before he eats his krill and spends most of the day hovering upside down under the rockwork, snuggling next to one of the purple firefish - hysterical to behold. I have had various lionfishes over the past two years and this one is the most timid and kind (if fish can be "kind"). This is my first radiata and I am not sure about their general temperment.

Now onto my pride and joy, the large angel in a reef system. I have tried several angelfish in my reef tank experiment, King angel, Emperor, and majestic. None have bothered the softies, but each have taken a liking to eother the fragspawn, branch hammer, bubble coral and wall hammer. I did not give up my hope of finding the right combo of corals and large angels. Luckily, I have money to burn (lol - not really).

I took out the really meaty corals, that will remind him of moons that appear in his tropical home in the Atlantic. So far, no incident. He is about 4 inches long and looks to be a cross of a blue and queen. I will post pics and you can tell me what you think.

I am looking for advice about caring for the new angel. I have him in a 125 with ample swimming space and will move him into a 300 next year. I have never kept this fish before and am looking for feeding suggestions. I have planned a touch of krill, marine cuisine, and emerald entree. I will give seaweed twice a week. What else should I add to maintain optimal health? Thanks ahead of time for your advice, I love to hear varied opinions of those who have had success.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

well, I have posted pics. I have some of my corals in the coral section, my full tank in the tank section and my prize Blue Angel in the fish section. Everybody take a look at them and send me a reply about what you think. Also, looking for husbandry tips for the Blue Angel. Thanks again for the replies.

-Dr Marco:sfish:

Dr Marco said:
I still have a fairly aggressive reef tank, but I have removed the MOST aggressive...The Niger trigger. He never so much as hurt a coral, crab or snail, but started to munch his tankmates - lost a pari of skunk fish - he took a huge bit out of both of them overnite and they died the next day.
:
I had this same dilemma when switching from a FO tank to a reef tank. Mine would eat snails and crabs.

Back