Anemone and Tank Bred Clows

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So heres the thing, a couple months back I noticed my clowns trying to host my Duncan and my Zoas LOL. So I got a Nem for them to host. Well they still have not hosted it and its ben atleast 3 months if not more. I Do how ever Notice them Near it and it seems like there trying to host it but get stung. Im thinking since they are tank bred clowns they don't have the natural imunity to the NEM. Its kinda crazy thos couse it seems like the clown are trying to get useto the Anemone. Couse they rub on it then swim away then later come back and do the same thing. Could they be Attempting to Acclimate to the Anemone ???? Just Thinking they might be trying to build there Sting tolerance or something.

What do you guys think ???

The fact that they're captive bred doesn't have anything to do with it. They could just not like it. Or not like where it's sitting. Or like the duncans better.

Clowns are weird.

Well they have since left the Duncan and Zoas alone. Maybe they just don't like the Nem. Tham Picky Fish lol. O well Still love the look of my Nem so no big deal. I just really wanted to see the relationship between Clown and Nem. Hopefully they will Host it but if not its not big deal.

The way i got my clowns to host (which isnt the best way because you shouldnt move an anemone) was to move it under where the clowns usually sleep in the corner of my tank. I had my anemone for a month and a half clowns showed no interest. I moved it to where they slept and overnight they were hosted. You didnt state what kind of anemone you got, what kind is it?

I scared mine into it with a picture of a grouper. It actually worked. Ive never seen the clowns dart away from anything before. My little clown had no issues showing love to my nem, took awhile for the big one to take. They really dart and protect the nem and sometimes, like others have said becomes a pita when they attack you in everyday general maintenance

Clownfish are actually not born with the natural immunity to anemone (or coral) stings.
However, they are born with the ability to acclimate to the nematocysts.
The first time they encounter a species that they want to host, they will gradually come in contact with it until their body has developed the mucus composition that negates that specific nematocyst trigger.

So being immune to one species does not automatically make them immune to all species. Some anemone species may share similarities so this reduces their acclimation time.

Is this "learned" ability passed on from parents to offspring?
It is possible that in the wild (and captive bred fish with an anemone), hatchlings are able to get the mucus "formula" from their parents and they get a headstart.

What I am not clear of regarding this however, is exactly how the clownfish mucus coating makes it immune to the nematocysts. We probably need Hannah to expound on this :)
a. Does the mucus simply neutralize the venom?
b. Does it act as a protective layer so the nematocyst barbs do not reach the fish?
c. Does it cause the nematocysts to not trigger at all - similar to when anemone tentacles touch each other and they do not fire off nematocysts at itself.

What I am not clear of regarding this however, is exactly how the clownfish mucus coating makes it immune to the nematocysts. We probably need Hannah to expound on this :)
a. Does the mucus simply neutralize the venom?
b. Does it act as a protective layer so the nematocyst barbs do not reach the fish?
c. Does it cause the nematocysts to not trigger at all - similar to when anemone tentacles touch each other and they do not fire off nematocysts at itself.
It is about fooling the anemone. As the clowns make their test runs they are mixing their slime coat with the anemones. The more it mixes the more the anemone believes the clown is part of itself or another anemone. This prevents the anemone from feeling threatened thus not firing it's nematocysts.

It is about fooling the anemone. As the clowns make their test runs they are mixing their slime coat with the anemones. The more it mixes the more the anemone believes the clown is part of itself or another anemone. This prevents the anemone from feeling threatened thus not firing it's nematocysts.

I never knew that, thanks for the info! :)

Back