anemone changing colors

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
What does it mean when an anemone changes colors over a period of time? It use to be green and now its a peachy color. I keep my levels right on the money and salinity at 1.23.....It looks to be happy and is always expanded open and it eats on a regular basis..Just curious of what it might be. I always heard when they bleach out its due to poor water qualities but I change my water weekly and try to keep it maintained the best I can. Thanks

Are your nitrates at zero?Anemones are sensitive even to the smallest amount of nitrate.How mature is your system?Most don't do well until a system has matured 8-12 months.Another problem could be the lighting,to much or to little could cause bleaching.

at the end of each week I might see around 10 on nitrates but usually they stay around the 0 mark. I have a coralife aqualight along with another light fixture with two flourecent bulbs(1 blue 1 whte of course)...So maybe he is getting too much light if anything. I tried just the aqualight but I like the way it lights up with the other fixture on it too...

I'm guessing that its not getting enough light.But thats just going the description of your lighting.
Even well fed anemones will bleach without the proper lighting.Not just wattage wise,but in spectrium too.

I believe the Coralife Aqualight is a PC fixture,not a T5.If your asking about the second fixture.A 48'' normal output is 28w per bulb.T5-HO are 54w and overdriven(T5-VHO) is 80w.

I was wondering cause I was trying to see how many watts per gallon I had with both them lights on top. I think im around 5 watts per gallon. OUCH

Well since I added that new light he is getting his green back it looks like. My condylactus hasnt had any problems yet he is getting big FAST. These lights are just temp for about 2-3 months then ill have MH on the way. Before I got the aqualight my tank had just had the two t5's and as crazy as it sounds, all my corals looked to be happy and were still growing. Could of been the spectrum of the lights, it had a purple hue but now with the new light with it, just looks more of a bright white. Sorry for the rant :grumble:

Back