Anemone Death

Supraz

Reefing newb
I ordered an anemone online and when I recieved it, it had a torn foot :( . I tried to nurse it back to health but after a month i have failed. It started to bleach right after I got it and i knew it was a long shot to save it. This morning after i got out of the shower, I went to look at him cause he wasnt looking too good last night and he had started to turn to sludge.

My question is this, I had just got out of the shower and i saw it and was kinda frantic to get it out(mistake) so i grabbed one arm length glove(only one I could find) and put it over my right hand/arm. I reached into the tank with my right arm and a turkey baster and sucked up about half of him but the other half woudnt suck into the baster. I got scared that it would fall back into the tank and spread everywhere when i attempted to take it out of the water so I took the baster to the water line and dipped my left and exposed hand into the tank.

This is the first time Ive put my hand into my tank after ive used soap on it ever :frustrat:. I had also brushed my teeth right before all this happened. So shower, then brush teeth, then dip hand into tank. I didnt touch any livestock aside from the dead nem. How worried should I be? Am I going to throw off the water chemistry because of this?

Help!!!

wow this is one unique thread lol. At this point, Id be more worried about the anem nuking my tank than anything else...

Did everything survive?

I wouldn't worry about it....Geez, how much of a mess do you make when you brush your teeth? I can picture toothpaste just flying everywhere.:D

Lol my hands were rinsed off, I just once read never put your hands in your tank after you wash then because it can kill bacteria in the tank and cause problems.

@cthegame I was/am worried about the anemone nuking my tank. He was only 1/4 to 1/3 disolved. Nothing was floating around until I sucked him up. I sat with the baster and tried to get all the floating parts. Nothing seems effected in the tank. Im going to be away from the tank for 9 hrs, so we will see when I get back from work.

It's not a good idea to put your hands in your tank if you've just used an antibacterial soap, but in your case, it was an emergency, and it was important for you to try to get the nem out.

I also don't usually use gloves when I work in my tank, but I don't work in my tank after having washed my hands, or if I'm wearing lotion or perfume or something.

I don't wear gloves either... but I'm with these guys.
Never after right after I wash my hands or do dishes or put lotion on.

I quit using lotions completely but generally wash my hands with soap and extra rinsing before I put my hands into the tank. Oils from your skin or pets coat transfer easily.

Back