Anemone help

lisamarie806

Reefing newb
Im going to place an anemone in my salt tank today. How should the anemone be placed? Like, should I float the bag for 30 min. and then place it in the tank or should I slowly add water from my tank into the bag to adjust it to my aquarium water? Thanks for any help given.

how old is the tank your going to put it in? and the best type of acclimation for an anemone is to drip acclimate, but if you cant do that then you should add about a 1/2 cup of water to the bag every 5 minutes until the bag is full. then empty out the bag until there is only enough water to cover the nem and then do it again

My tank is now in it`s 5th week. I have ran a test on all my water conditions and everything is checking out. Im going to add one sandsifting starfish,anemone and one percula clown. I hope this is not to much to add at one time.
Thanks again for the help

the anemone needs to be in a mature system (about 8-12 months old minimum). and the sand sifting star will quickly eat all of the micro fauna in the sand and then slowly starve to death in you tank, sand sifting stars arent very good animals to add to a tank, they are one of those better left in the ocean animals

Dustins right.Your tanks not mature enough for an anemone.They require a mature tank thats stable.A 5 week old system just isnt stable enough to support an anemone.
Same with the sand sifting star.

Oh, I know the answer to this one!

I'm a total newbie but TRUST ME, you don't want an anemone yet!!!!!!!! I've tried this twice (tank set up November 1st 2008). It's a disaster! Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! Read everything you can about them in the mean time. I was in tears when the second one died. This is an animal you are bringing into your home and you and your tank are not ready for this! There are so many other things to enjoy about a new tank, wait for the anemone, you'll be glad you did.

Ok atlantic purple tip enomes move around a lot but are hardy as hell, i suggest if you want one and have suffiecient get one of those... they have a big orange redish foot... they do very well

Re: Anemone help..WHAT CAN I DO WITH THAT FISH

My sandsifting starfish, Im not sure what to do with him now. I have a friend who has a tank and she put one in her tank the week after she put the tank up and plus 4 or 5 other fish along with it:death: Even I knew that was not a good thing to do. I do not know that much about salt tanks, I was :shock: that she done a stupid thing like that. Maybe I can give the sandsifting star fish to her since it has killed everything in her sand. She also told me that all her fish have died....I was thinking to myself, welllll!anyone that would add so much stuff to a new tank is asking for trouble. I have about 25 lbs of live rock and two damsels only in my tank. Im going to add some more live rock next week. I guess I was pretty silly for not doing more research on the anemone before I added one to my tank.
Thanks for the advice. I will give her the starfish.
What is a good fish for eating food off the bottom of the tank and keeping the sand cleaned off?
Thanks again

Again, I'm a newbie so I'm sure you'll get better advice than mine but I use snails and crabs for that. My "janitor" crew. It is my understanding that there shouldn't be any food hanging around on the bottom or you're putting in too much but if some does float down then the crabs are scavengers and they love that sort of thing. Go to www.garf.org and read up on clean-up crews. Also, I got these really cool snails that live under the sand and they stir things up nicely, really cool snails! Don't know what they're called though. Focus on building your ecosystem first and add fish and stuff later, you'll be glad in the long run.

nassarius snails are the best for keeping a sand bed clean without eating the organisms that live in the sand. and you need to get your LR up to about 1-2 lbs per gallon of water minimum before you really add anything else to your tank. 25 pounds of rock in a 125 gallon tank is just asking for trouble in the long run

Thanks for all the help im sorry i was so impatient to get started. I will take all great advice and keep reading. The anemone is purpletip,I will wait,wait,wait and I will be a bit more patient.
Thanks for all the help. I want to get it right not kill all my fish.

When it comes to anemones,bubble tips are the hardiest.But even at,their not to be taken lightly.
Personally,I'll never have another anemone in my reef tank.

So what exactly is the deal if they die? They release a toxin that kills everything? Can this be solved if you catch it early and take it out in time?

So what exactly is the deal if they die? They release a toxin that kills everything? Can this be solved if you catch it early and take it out in time?

Ya, it's nasty. Not something you want to experience. Get him about before he actually dies.

But i'm a bit of a hypocrite. My tank is only 4 months old and my nem has been doing "ok". Not GREAT, but ok. He seems to be growing pretty good, his bubble tips just don't.... bubble. As evidenced in my clown pic. I've had him since early december at around the 2 month mark. Fingers still crossed.

the thing with anemones is that you wont know it will die until its too late and signs of bad health take a really long time to show. So the anem could be dying without us being able to see the signs.

99% of the time,the anemone is already dead and decaying before you can see that its dead.Then when you try to remove it,you end up with pieces of dead anemone all over the tank.
Then on top of that.Theres nothing in this world that stinks as bad as a dead anemone,NOTHING.

Back