Anemone Help?

laura-jean

friend to the fish
Hey folks.

My tank has been doing splendidly and I've decided it is time to take on a new challenge!

I'd like to get an anemone for my false percula clown.

My nitrates are steadily at zero, I have no problems with pests or bad algae, my corals are healthy, and my fish all get along.

The only thing I struggle with is salinity, it's always a liiiiittle higher than perfect. (I hope to get a auto top-off system soon-ish.)

What anemones are hardy, don't move too much, and attractive to false percula clowns? I REALLY would love to see my clown hosting an anemone. :)

Any experiences with anemones and clowns would also be sincerely appreciated.

Unfortunately, I can't really answer your question but, I'm sure you know this ... just because you have an anemone in your tank does not mean that your clown will host it. Also, what type of lights do you have? Anemones require intense lighting.

as BL stated there is only a chance your clown will host it, also slight salinity changes will not affect it as they will occur slowly (usually) from evaporation, my salinity sits near 1.026 at all times.

How long has your tank been up, and please let us know what lights you have.

Lights are compact fluorescents, 105 watts. It's a JBJ nano cube, 28 gal.

Well I moved everything over to the 28 gal from a 10 gal two months ago, but I just added more water. Been up for I'd say ten months altogether.

Laura,
It's a risky endeavor, especially in a tank <1 year old. It may seem stable right now, but looking back on it a year from now, you'll realize it really wasn't the same tank that it will be if you wait. I really don't think those lights will be enough for one - and if it dies, it can/will nuke your tank.

BUT, if you're still looking into it, this website has a lot of info on anemones!

Sorry, but I have to agree also, anemones need much higher lighting than corals do, and pristine waters. Not saying you can't have one, but it would slowly die and possibly kill your other critters. But when you are ready to get an anemone, the bubble tip is a popular one with the clowns, and is considered one of the more hardier anemones.

I'd be good on water but not on lighting. Oh well, I can find a different challenge!

Thanks for the input.

Nope, I don't intend on getting a larger tank. I just got this one for my birthday in February and I love it. Nano is more my style.

I was just asking because you can always upgrade the lighting in the hood, or remove the hood altogether and upgrade your lighting so that you can keep anything you want.

Parrotchute has a great idea there Laura.
You've got plenty of lights for the mushrooms and you wont have to worry about them killing your other corals.

rose bubble tips are very hardy, i keep my anemone in a 20 gallon high with 40 pounds livesand, standard hang on filter and one 65 watt daylight bulb and it does great. its split 3 times since ive had it any now its just getting bigger and bigger, keep in my only 65 watts pc lighting. i do however feed every other day a good amount of shrimp. id say a rose bubble tip would be a good try for you, only problem is they get big and if you can any other corals in the tank that might be a problem.

Back