anemone identification

Matt

Reefer-In-Training
This was sold to me under the name "purple tip anenome" I am having a hard time confirming this through google. I was wondering if someone could identify what the proper name for this anenome is I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make sure that it get's the proper care.

On a side note, if someone could tell me what the white/stringy/sandy looking stuff on my live rock is I would appreciate it. It's not sand, and it doesn't come off with a toothbrush.

This was sold to me under the name "purple tip anenome" I am having a hard time confirming this through google. I was wondering if someone could identify what the proper name for this anenome is I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make sure that it get's the proper care.

On a side note, if someone could tell me what the white/stringy/sandy looking stuff on my live rock is I would appreciate it. It's not sand, and it doesn't come off with a toothbrush.

I always forget to attach the picture :frustrat:

Attachments

• 12-07-2012 iPhone 1048.jpg
    12-07-2012 iPhone 1048.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 419
That nem looks like one of the dyed nems that they sell in hopes of driving up the price. I'm not sure if its a Seabee or a condy nem, but if it is a dyed nem that's not good. Most don't make it and need a lot of support if they are going to recover . I don't think your current set up with the light you have listed would support any nem, healthy or otherwise. I would look into finding it a new home.

Thanks. I was told that it needed little light which I didn't believe. Now that I know what it is, it turns out that I was right, it needs a lot of light to thrive. I now have it closer to the top of my aquarium.

That nem looks like one of the dyed nems that they sell in hopes of driving up the price. I'm not sure if its a Seabee or a condy nem, but if it is a dyed nem that's not good. Most don't make it and need a lot of support if they are going to recover . I don't think your current set up with the light you have listed would support any nem, healthy or otherwise. I would look into finding it a new home.

I'm waiting for my new light to come in the mail, I think it will make it until then :D. I'm definitely not going back to that store though, they're bad news. Their "advice" always contradicts the common beliefs of LR. I'd much rather believe the majority of this forum vs. someone who's trying to take my money, so thanks for that!

Do you have any idea what that is growing on my rock little_fish? I see your posts all over this forum. You must be an expert :D

Can you get a picture of what is growing? I'm not sure what you want me to look at :)

I'm not sure if it's growing or what, but it's in the same picture above with my anenome in it, but it looks like the rocks have sand on them, but it doesn't come off with a brush. I don't know how else to explain it besides it looks like tanish-white dust or sand.

That is a dyed Condylactis.
99.9% of which don't survive very long even under expert care.

No wonder it seemed to stand out in the store. It was the same price as the others though which is weird, why dye it if you aren't going to charge more for it?

I'm just going to try my best and keep you updated to see how long I can keep it alive. So far it's in week 3 of survival.

Back