Anemone invasion!!

123nsb456

Reefing newb
HI EVERYONE,
I have a piece of coral in my tank, and i have had it for a few years now and i have recently added a piece of live rock that had some small brownish to clear anemones on it and they are taking over and killing off little spots on my coral. is there any way to get rid of these?

ok thanks. i would use peppermint shrimp but i am trying keep this an atlantic only tank and the rock that brought them all in was a rock out of the keys.

The Pepperments that actually eat aiptasia come from the Caribbean.( unless I have the 2 mixed up ).
All the info on the internet has it the other way around, the atlantics eat aiptasia

ok thanks. i would use peppermint shrimp but i am trying keep this an atlantic only tank and the rock that brought them all in was a rock out of the keys.

Live Aquaria said:
The Western Atlantic Peppermint Shrimp complex Lysmata wurdemanni has been reclassified in 2006 by Andrew L. Rhyne and Junda Lin based on their morphology and color pattern. See the article here. In general, peppermint shrimp from different regions can easily be identified to species level by their color patterns. Our peppermint shrimp from either the Florida Keys or the Gulf of Mexico and are most often Lysmata boggessi, a species proven to consume Aiptaisa (Rhyne et al. 2004). We occasionally receive other species from the Lysmata wurdemanni complex, we have consulted with Dr. Rhyne and he has confirmed that all species of peppermint shrimp he has tested in the laboratory consume Aiptasia. Differences in exact collection location often dictates what species we have in stock. The exact species that will be shipped to your door is one of the following listed below. The exact species you receive will vary based on the time of year, weather conditions, freight space, and inventory levels. All of the following species make ideal scavengers and prey on the pest anemone Aiptasia pallida.
Florida Bay and Atlantic – L. wurdemanni
Caribbean – L. ankeri
Florida Bay and Gulf of Mexico – L. boggessi
South Western Florida Keys – L. rafa

So you can add them and still have an Atlantic tank

THANKS FOR THE HELP, I found out that you can take a syringe with lemon juice concentrate and squrit it on them and it is kills them off and its reef safe!

THANKS FOR THE HELP, I found out that you can take a syringe with lemon juice concentrate and squrit it on them and it is kills them off and its reef safe!

In my experience, the lemon juice method does not work. They shrink up, but come right back. Use Aiptasia X if you want a more effective way to kill them.

Back