anemone question

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
as some of you know i am in the process of setting up a 72 gallon bowfront with the idea of having some of the critters that i have stayed away from in my reef tank.

i am going to base this tank on an anemone and a pair of mated clowns

this is the anemone i am thinking of "Entacmaea quadricolor"

this is my question i have been reading that these anenomes will stay small if they have enough light, and will expand with a lack of light. I will be running a nova extreme pro, which im pretty sure is plenty of light, but should you periodically deplete light so the anemone will grow???

any advice on this question or in general about this anemone will help

My small BTA took up nearly half my 75 gallon tank.They can and do grow.And even though a lot of people think they get all their energy from the lights,they need to be fed at least once a week to keep them healthy.

ccapt and yote

im not disputing the fact that the tank needs to acclimate

but explain to me why i need to wait 3/4 to a full year before introducing the anemone

if i understand the reasoning better i can buy into the theory

basically i would be looking at water and rocks for almost a year

It usually takes several months to a year for the system to settle in to where you dont get a lot of parameter swings.New systems tend let nitrates slowly build up in spite of doing water changes.And even if the nitrates stay undetectable,you'll have algae blooms that tend to feed nitrates.
Basically,the older the system,the more stable it is.And anemones require stable conditions.

so.....
set up the tank as a fowlr
wait 9 months or so then go anemone and clowns????

yote have been on the GARF site???
if so what is your take on the "plenum" method??

I've looked at the plenum method.But decided against it.I've found the K.I.S.S. method is usually the best,for me anyhow.

You dont have to wait 9 months to a year to add your clowns or other fish.Matter of fact,the tank cant mature without some kind of life in it.Just give it time to stabilize before adding your anemones.
No need to spend hard earned money on something thats going to die if the parameters start making big swings.

I'll back these guys up here. As much as I wanted one, I waited six months for my first. It lasted three days. I waited another two months for my second. It lasted about 8 weeks. They are very tough to keep, and can take down your whole tank with them.

Back