Anemone Question

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hey guys I have had this anemone for about 5 months now (old one died after 7 months during a nasty tank move)....it is hosting a very happy clown fish, but about once or so a week (maybe less maybe more) he will do this: What is up with it?
0729091429.jpg

notice anything coming out of brown and stringy? mine will get real small like its dieing about 1 a week as well, but nope its doing the ol #2.. what are you running for lights?

yeah there is some long stringy crap on the rocks...I don't feed it really anything (I read some stuff that said if you have the right lighting you don't need to? is that correct?) I have 350 watts of metal halide and 80 watts of actinic. he is right under a bulb just at the bottom of the tank. I took levels his morning and everything but nitrate was at 0 (ph 8.4). I don't have a calcium reader but I'm going to start dosing tomorrow with kalls

No you need to feed the little guy. It is an animal not a plant. A small piece of silverside once a week should keep him happy. Sometimes when they split the look sick for a while, maybe the case maybe not you never know.

I`m of the experience and opinion that you dont need to feed them. I had an anenome for 4 yrs and never fed it. IMO it gets what it needs from the lighting and water column. I finally gave it to my LFS because my clowns found other corals to host with. It`s definitely not going to feed looking like that anyway. Not trying to discount anyone`s experience. Just relaying mine. Have you checked water parameters to rule that out? Ok never mind I see you did. The clowns are not battering it are they?

+1 Meshman.
Its taking a dump.
I used to feed my BTA once a week.Except mine got a whole table shrimp(raw),or a full silverside.But it also took up 1/2 of a 75 gallon reef ready tank.
Sold the thing after it stung and killed nearly $1000 worth of SPS colonies.

yeah i am torn between feeding and not...i would like it go grow but not too big. i have had it this whole time and never fed it. thw clown is not too aggressive, but i did notice a yellow tail damsel picking on the clown and the clown hiding in the anemone...ill post another pic tomorrow and see what happens

I have had several nems and mine puff up when they are expelling waste (BTW that's the proper way to say that :lol:)

I think something else is going on here. JMO

I agree with Mike. I've never directly fed my sebae which I've had now for over 5 yrs. I had a BTA with a mated pait of clowns I sold to my LFS before that and never directly fed that 1 either.
I don't have a calcium reader but I'm going to start dosing tomorrow with kalls
#1 rule...do not dose anything you don't test for. How are you supposed to know how much to dose if you don't know your current level? Also, an anemone has no use for calcium. High or low levels wil not affect it 1 way or another.

Well it was, and he had a nice creese in his skin, now he is under the rocks pulled back into his "poo" position. My water conditions are perfect, anything else I should do or am i over reacting?

I think your anemone is fine.Mine would draw up like that a couple of times a day.
Its great that your really paying attention to it,but dont let it make you go bald:D
As for the iodine.I never add it to my tank.But you really think you need it,test for it first.

Dankolle.
Anemones need to be fed, no matter what species they are.
Can you post a picture of it for us to see, and also what your parameters are?
And also about your tank, flow, lighting etc?
Karen

Good news, I have been feeding him some freeze dried krill based on my LFS recommendations...it is doing great! I put in the new lights about 5 weeks ago no too, and he is loving it! The orange tips have returned and he is about 3 times larger than he was when I posted this thread! Thanks for all your help!

Back