Anemone question

rusty57

Reefing newb
Is my anemone in trouble? It's never been so opened and flimsy looking.

Attachments

• photo10.jpg
    photo10.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 307
  • photo11.jpg
    photo11.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 313
  • photo12.jpg
    photo12.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 302
  • photo13.jpg
    photo13.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 279
I thawed a frozen shrimp and put it on the tip of a skewer stick. I placed it near the mouth and it took it!!!!

Attachments

• ane.jpg
    ane.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 280
  • ane2.jpg
    ane2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 286
How long have you had him?

Typically if they're not moving around and their mouth is gaping open they're fine.

For the future, feed him small bits of food. A squirt of mysis works just fine.

I've had it a few weeks only. Its pretty much stayed where its at now. Probably likes the light and current at this spot. I will get a turkey baster and feed smaller amounts. I cut the shrimp pretty small before feeding it and it ate a few pieces. Thanks a lot for the advice. I hope it does well. I'll be sure to report either way. Thanks again.

Is the mouth wide open? If you add it new and didn't acclimate it will it might be a problem because Anemones are really sensitive animals and even a small change in water could effect them. You should check your water parameters too. Just keep an eye on it because those do recover over time. Once I had a bubble tip which got cut in to pieces from my wave maker. I couldn't recover the biggest piece which felt inside my rock work but two days back surprisingly it reappeared on a rock recovered. :D

I added it a few weeks ago. I acclimated it using the drip method. Seems to be OK at the moment. How often are they fed?

I added it a few weeks ago. I acclimated it using the drip method. Seems to be OK at the moment. How often are they fed?

A lot of people lately have been over feeding their anemones. I had 5 in my tank that I never fed and they were extremely healthy and would spawn often. Occasionally, they would grab food when I fed the fish but I never fed them purposely.

I'll wait and see how it does over the next week or so. I hope it's opened in attempts to feed itself. It has grown almost three times the size (so it seems) since I got it.

I'll wait and see how it does over the next week or so. I hope it's opened in attempts to feed itself. It has grown almost three times the size (so it seems) since I got it.

Well it might not exactly be growing, they inflate their bodies with water so they can expand at times. Anyways it's good if its closing the mouth and the tentacles are expanded rather than shrunk. Because as I know they shrink and open their mouth when they are stressed.

Back