Anemone temperature range?

Kazarko

Reefing newb
I have noticed my BTA has a bad habit of hiding directly under my heater rod which I have in the back of my DT. It is not the place I'd like to have the anemone but I can't figure out why he would like the heater so much. I am considering maybe he likes the hotter water around the heater. Tank water is 78.5F measured with digital probe at a mid point in the center of the tank. last night I actually saw the BTA flip himself upside down so he was feet first facing the heater O_o. I thought 78F was the best temp for a community tank with fish and inverts?

If the BTA is moving around, it indicates that it's not happy. They require intense lighting and perfectly stable water conditions. Are you sure that you are providing for the nems needs?

Well, lights sound just fine... Any other ideas of what might be making it unhappy? Is it still brown, or has it turned white? What are your parameters?

Green BTA with brown shades of color. It was never white but did contract and expand daily. The anemone stayed in one location for a week, always shrinking and opening but then moved last night and is currently directly under the heater. It has been open and vividly green colored since the move.
Params are : temp 78.5, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates at 10ppm. SG is around 1.026(measured with refractometer).
I was considering upping the temp to 79-80F but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea considering no other tank residents are sulking by the heater.

BTA,s are not big fans of fast moving water.. down by the heater unless your PH,s are pointed that way ( im sure theyr not ) she found a nice calm spot. if other areas in your tank are higher flow areas she wont like it much, you can always try and build a "water break" that she can hide behind as long as you can slow down the flow in the area you HOPE to have her sit in. ultimately even your best efforts may not be enough as she will have the final word as to where she likes to sit

your lighting is probably ok as shes heading down below the heater...if it was a lighting issues she would be trying to get higher up towards the lights i would think. so perhaps warmer or currect flow issue

Last edited:
Back