Anemone

bdepierro

Reefing newb
I bought a condy anemone today i acclimated him over a 30 min period checking the water till the ph and salinity were the same as my tank 1.026 and 8.2. there are no nitrates or nitrites or ammonia. the alkalinity is between 2.9-3.6 milli equivalents per liter and calcium is a little low about 360-380 ppm. when i first placed him in the tank he was upright and seemed fine now 4 hours later he is laying on his side and hasnt attached himself to anything. What should i do he still seems attentive i tried offering him food by using tongs and brine shrimp but he retracted his tentacle when the food touched it with out taking the food.

Try gently placing him where there is a deep hole or crevice in the rock. Hold him there for about thirty seconds or until he attaches. If he won't attach just leave him be and he will go where he wants to. He's prlly just getting used to your tank.

Hello and Welcome!

I would worry that you didnt acclimate him long enough, inverts should be acclimated over several hours because they are so sensitive, nems especially so.

Also what kind of lighting do you have? Nems require very high lighting, higher than corals, and pristine, stable water conditions. Those qualities are rarely found in tanks younger than a year old.

Finally, condy nems dont host clowns incase you bought it for that reason.

Also is the nem white? a healthy nem isnt white.

I have 6 54w t5 bulbs and yes the nem is white but thats how i bought him white with purple tips and the tips are still purple

he showed some more activity this morning when i turned the lights on but still is on his side, seems to be doing a little better

my anemone is still laying on its side i retested all the water parameters just now 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates, Ph is between 8.2-8.4, alkalinity is 12, and calcium is low at 260-280 which is the same as yesterday i miss typed yesterdays result. specific gravity is between1.025-1.026. he is still moving his tentacles especially when the fish swim close to him... got him to grab some shrimp off my tongs today didnt see him bring it to his mouth though and had to leave. his base is still vibrant as well as the purple tips of his tentacles but i still dont think he looks good. all my snails fish and crabs are going about their business as usual. any advice or thoughts would be appreciated?

calcium should come up but that should happen with waterchanges.. Didnt hear anything that should be using it.. The nem doesnt require calcium so hopefully feeding it and adequate lighting and watermovement should help it out..

Back