anemones!

Ok, first time my nem split! I now have 3 nems and how do i go about getting them out of the tank? I think they are between some rocks, so that maybe tricky. Any advice?

You can blast them with water flow to try and get them to move. If you're in a hurry to move it, you'll probably have to remove the rock and either sell it with the nem or try the cold butter knife to get it to detach. When I bought mine, they ended up just breaking the rock it was on and sending it home still attached to the much smaller piece of rock (I had no room for the whole rock). If you try to get it to detach, be gentle and do NOT tear the foot. Good luck, and congrats on the split!

I cant believe it. The nem was 16inches across on tuesday. I had back surgery on wednesday and came home last night and didnt pay any attention. My wife said it looked like it moved.
I will try the cold butter knife idea. Thanks for your help!

You stick a knife in the freezer and use that cold knife to assist the nem to release its foot from the rock from what i understand. The nem will release because of the temp change and not to use it to "cut" it off

You stick a knife in the freezer and use that cold knife to assist the nem to release its foot from the rock from what i understand. The nem will release because of the temp change and not to use it to "cut" it off

Exactly. The cold butter knife pressed against the base of the foot will sometimes get them to detach themselves from the rock they are on.

You can also try massaging the base, sometimes they will let go. If you can get a small section of the base up, use your fingers and gently peel it away from the rock. As Chichi said, be careful not to tear it! Best of luck bud

Back