Anenome ID please

Nevek

Reefing newb
I have some side jobs setting up and maintaning (if wanted) Freshwater aquariums

anywho last year I got my first client for a saltwater, usually I say no because the tank is maybe 45 gal and I knew i wouldn't be around alot for observation but he was persistant, anyway i stopped by the other day and he has an outbreak of these plain brown anenome's EVERYWHERE, he had a few when we got the LR (maybe 4) now these have taken over about 50% of his LR, there about 1 inch long and smaller

Any ideas? and how do I get rid of them for him? I've done some quick searches and can't seem to find them

I should mention they killed off all the mushrooms that he had also

thanks in advance

That deffly sounds like Aiptasia... do as dcantucson suggests and get some Aiptasia-X...and do it soon.

Definitely either aiptasia or majano. You need to kill them because as you've found out, thy are capable of killing every other coral in the tank. They take over very easily.

I think that I am having the same problem. I recently purchased a new piece of rock and have found one of these anemone like creatures on it. I tried to get it with a pair of tweezers today and it just retracted back into it's hole. Here is the best picture I could get. It is clear and looks just like an anemone.

CIMG6139-2.jpg

I retract my last post saying it sounded like aiptasia. I an not very good at the DX. I will let the experts handle the IDing!

Just look at the majanos - not them. How should I get rid of it? It is on a very large piece of beautiful rock. Should I just get rid of the rock?

Aiptasia X will do a good job of getting rid of that pest. And you should add some peppermint shrimp to your tank, they'll take care of aiptasia naturally.

I have several peppermint shrimp. They never crawl that high on the rock though. They like to hide underneath the rock.
I am going to pick up the aiptasia x today.

Do you guys know any home remedies? Trying to help my dad out, he has two..tried vinegar and they shrunk for a day or so but came right back. He doesn't want to buy anything....grumble grumble..

Home remedies don't work, in my experience. I've tried them all!

You can try boiling water, vinegar, lemon juice and salt paste, but I never had success with any of those.

Why won't your dad buy anything? A bottle of Aiptasia X costs around $15, and it lasts forever. $15 is worth more than losing a whole tank to pests?

Back