Anenome??

bdawg21

Reefing newb
SO i have a 46 gallon bowfront with live rock and refugium running right now and before I get any coral I wanted to get some sugestions on whether or not i should keep an Anenome or not? I hear if they find a good spot they wont harm anything but on the other hand they can move around alot, damaging your coral. If i do get one i was thinking a small Carpet or a bubble tip. Help me out somebody? :bowdown::mrgreen:

+1 dc also if it dies it will take out the entire tank. The dreaded anemone nukes the tank syndrome. :shock:

carpet anemones are pretty yes but the also will eat your fish:sfish: they are not a good idea if you want fish #1 and i had 2 green carpets and they ate alot of fish including a porcupine puffer:frustrat: so that is not an anemone that i would recommend #1 wants another one but that is a no go in our tank due to how aggressive they are:death:

Bubble Tip Anemones seem to be the most common and easiest to care for.
I put mine in at about 3 months just because it was given to me in a trade. I have tons of light and I feed him a small silverside once a week. He's been in the same spot since I put him in. He likes lots of flow. He split once already and looks like he may split again, he's pretty big. He never gets the bubble tips in my tank though. My tank is just about 11-12 months old now.

+1 dc also if it dies it will take out the entire tank. The dreaded anemone nukes the tank syndrome. :shock:

Question about the nuke syndrome. If the anemone will kill everything in your tank when it dies, then why do people even put them in their tanks? They will eventually die so it's just seems like a ticking time bomb to me.

My LFS sold me a BTA about a week ago and said it would be fine for my tank. Now I'm seeing that's not the case. I've only had my tank up and running for just over 2 months(9 weeks actually). I have a 14g Biocube and compact fluorescent lights. Are they strong enough lights for the BTA? He also told me there is no need to feed the BTA since it a filter feeder and get's what it needs for the supplements I add to the water.

So am I just screwed now with this BTA or is there any hope for me? It seems to be doing pretty well so far, but it's only a week old in my tank.

You can't let it sit and rot in your tank.
It will be obvious when it's on its way out, so just get it out asap and you'll be fine.

I would bring yours back. Your tank isn't quite mature enough yet and you don't have enough light imho. High Output T5's or Metal Halides would be best. I'd also be scared about putting one in a nano tank, where water conditions can change uber quickly. Plus mine gets so big so fast it would outgrow that cube pretty quick.

I'm glad my LFS just wanted to make a buck off me. I know he wont take it back for $ or store credit. I'll have let it go for free. Guess that's how your learn by getting burnt. Thansk for the advise!

Your other option is to keep an eye on it. Watch it every day and pay attention to any changes. Also try feeding it a thawed silverside or piece of table shrimp, or other thawed frozen foods once a week. I just don't think it's going to get enough food from your lighting and from filtering. Do you have a clown to host it? You could also try to sell it locally if you have a local reef club.

I have a clown that wants nothing to do with it. Last night I actually tried to feed it a piece of frozen food that I use for the sixline wrasse. The BTA's mouth swelled up, but never took the food. After about 5 min it just retreated into a small cave.

well that depends on the type of coral. you are at the 4 watts for watts per gallon. which is fine for softies, mushrooms and zoah's. If you have sps then I would say no not enough light. I know the 4 watts per gallon isnt the best way to determine lighting needs but it is what most people use if they dont have a par meter. for sps 6 watts is more close to the min.

JMO
But I'll never have another anemone in my reef tank.Not after mine took a stroll during the night and killed close to $1,000.00 worth of SPS colonies,all because I repositioned a powerhead.Thats not to say I wouldnt set up an anemone tank tho.
What happens when an anemone is dying,is it releases its nematocyst,which mix with the water and sting the other animals in the tank.

is there no other store you could take it to for store credit? If not, i recommend what dennis said and manually feed it at least once a week. Even better, increase your lighting. Its a shame to see it die, not to mentioned wiping out everything in your tank along with it.

Back