anenomne

johnnystorm

Reefing newb
hi guys,

ive had had my tank cycling for 2 weeks (2 weeks 3 days now) i had my water tested and was advised good to go, with a fish little bit of nitrate but water change should have eliminated it which i did,

i added 2 clowns, which seem to be getting along just fine been in the tank for about 3 days,

i feel a bit bad not having an anenomne for them to host, but i have been advised not to add any coral life yet, when would be best to get an anenonme for them?

in the wild clownfish NEED an anemone for survival , they use it as a safe haven from predatory fish. in our tanks anemones are not required for clowns ,and even if you do get one its not a quarantee that it will become a host to them.

special lighting and pristine water conditions are required. 6 months is what i think some people will go as far as to say 1 full year after your tank is set.

reserch what type of anemone you wat theirs so many kinds and some are more demanding than others

cool thanks mate,

but there fine without one? there the only fish in there for now. so no predators at all,

i can only run 3 x t8's in my tanks overhead setup, ive got one blue and 2 white in there

Yea, they'll be fine in there without one. But, IMO I don't even think your lights are strong enough to keep a hosting anemone alive long term.

If you HAD to get an anemone I would suggest a bubble tip. They are hardy and easy keepers, IF you clowns choose to host them it is fun to watch but this isnt an overnight thing. It would take a while for that to happen, at least thats the experience of most people..
If you are asking what the best time of day for your lights to be on it just depends on what works for you. I turn my lights on at noon and off at 8. I like to watch them into the evening.

thanks for all your info guys, last thing i want to do is buy something im going to kill,

here is some pics anyway :)

tank3f.jpg

Shot at 2011-10-16

tank2p.jpg

Shot at 2011-10-16

I love it!! Beautiful clowns, ocellaris clowns arent they??

I would make sure ALL of your rock is SUPER secure however. A few people on here have lost fish from land slides :)

Back