Angel Deaths

reefkeeper55

Reefing newb
Ok , so now I have lost 3 fish due to some type of ick, all angels, the emperor was first, then a queen angel and now a passer angel:frustrat:. The blue hippo still shows a few spots, and the sailfin and naso have cleared completely. The clarkii's and the chromis as well as the two yellow tangs have shown no signs whatsoever. Any ideas would be appreciated.....thanks

Sorry to hear :( There's nothing much to say except hope the remaining survive.

Any treatment to be done in the DT involves you removing all inverts and corals -- once you remove them, you can treat with hyposalinity for a few weeks, then gradually bring the salinity back up. If you lower it too slow, the ich will adapt. If you lower too fast, the alread-stressed fish could die. Others have gotten rid of ich sucessfully this way. AGAIN, remove all corals and inverts.

The other way is harsher -- catch all the fish, treat them with copper in a QT (you can also just go hypo in the qt instead of the dt). The problem is putting them back in the dt will give them ich again. You'd have to leave your tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. Inverts and corals are not affected by ich.

BTW -- just cuz they show no signs of ich doesn't mean they do not have it. They're just handling it better. To be honest, you can leave ich alone and let the fish fight it on their own, which over time, will make them more resistant to ich as their bodies learn to fight it. Drawback is you never know if they'll survive or not.

have about decided to leave things alone for now....don't want to lose any others but I think the stress of the move and then hypo and then the move backwould be stressful also..just dont understand why it seems to have hit the angels harder than the others....thanks to all

Yeah weird huh? Fish are like people...some people handle illnesses differently...and usually, the more stressed, the more ill you get. Soak your food in garlic to promote eating, and hopefully they'll stay nice and happy. I'd have thought your tangs would've been more affected.

Losing one let alone three angels is not like losing a chromis or damsel.

Sorry for the lost.QTing any new purchases will be pointless since Ich will always be present as long as there are fish in the display.

Losing one let alone three angels is not like losing a chromis or damsel.

Sorry for the lost.QTing any new purchases will be pointless since Ich will always be present as long as there are fish in the display.

+1,also ,it sounded like you may have been overstocked ,which is what could have caused this outbreak ,,,again ,i'm sorry you lost those beautiful fish

I've had some luck with fish disease (specifically popeye and fin rot) soaking pellets in ampicillin gel (or something similar). I've always had UV on my tanks. I think this helps. I really haven't had many ich problems. I would consider a cleaner wrasse if I noticed an expensive fish was having trouble fighting a fungal or bacterial infection.

Back